cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 STM32 Wish List

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Dear Community Members & STM32 fans,

Let’s end 2018 thanking you for your involvement in our Community and wishing you all the best for 2019!

0690X000006CwKbQAK.jpg

As already done in 2017 (https://community.st.com/s/feed/0D50X00009bLPmvSAG) and in 2018 (https://community.st.com/s/feed/0D50X00009bLSAKSA4), we open this space to hear from you.

This is an opportunity for us to evaluate what we deliver as offer and to know your expectations.

If we come back to the STM32 portfolio end of last year, it was like this:

0690X000006CwKgQAK.png

Now the image is getting larger with new products as well as ecosystem components:

0690X000006CwKlQAK.jpg

Compared to the wishes you shared previous years, we weren’t able to answer all proposals for sure, but may be some of our solutions met what you looked for. Like for example: delivering .ioc file in the STM32Cube package which we started with STM32G0...

Either you are a follower of the STM32 history as well as the Community updates, or a new member in this space, would you mind share with us your feedback answering the following 3 questions:

• What shouldn’t be done (don’t say migration to new Community platform or new CubeMX interface (because both of them will be improved)?
  • What you appreciate the most as STM32 related offer?
  • What do you expect/suggest related to the STM32 and its ecosystem?

All together, keep UP our STM32 Community!

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

171 REPLIES 171

A maybe better and cheaper (in terms of transistor count) solution would be to add the option to switch DTS source to the regular prescaler and to TRGI.

JW

antonio.portaluri
Associate II

A bug-report dedicated platform. An official page where anyone can find all known bugs for a selected MCU/Board/Driver, a possible workaround and the status (under investigation, fixed in the next release, ...).

It is a waste of time to serch into the forum and read threads that have similar title but differs for MCU/Drivers or do not present the same issue.

Obviously also a way to report a bug from an user (with all info that are useful for your team to reporoduce it).

This is mandatory in my opinion.

James Murray
Senior

My request isn't simple, but would certainly help.

1. Make the HAL / LL code less of a tangle

2. honour your claims of MISRA compliance.

3. Provide some easily accessible global error code structure, currently most of the code blindly ignores any error code.

The three problems combined can make debugging a new peripheral a nightmare. With no global error code, the only option is to singlestep. The code is very deep with up to maybe ten levels of function call jumping from file to file. Function return codes are often ignored, or pass back a value that is always set to "OK" at the deepest level.

On point 2, anyone making the claim that your HAL Libraries are MISRA compliant is simply lying. Send me an email and I can talk you through many glaring examples of non-compliance.

James

Any example of microcontroller library(ies) (URL) to give a more concrete reference to look at?

YES! This should be done years ago.

kurta999
Senior

Add option for CubeMX to skip generating init functions for peripherials. EG:

• skip RTC init function because I need my own,
  • skip other init functions too like UART, SystemClock, etc.

Consider implementing every low level function like enabling UART idle line, FPU interrupts and ARM related functions to CubeMX. Everything. Of course user could decide that he wants to enable usart idle, tx interrupt, DMA half transfer or transfer complete interrupt.

Made CubeMX faster because it's INCREDIBLE SLOW. I'm not going to wait seconds to swich from one page to another with high end pc in 2019.

Improve TrueStudio, because I'm already thinking to switch to VisualGDB which nowadays gets lot of attention. In TS, fixing bug reports took months, no new features + slow as hell, Visual Studio a lot faster.

Yes yes.. At least like in Visaul GDB forum for example..

Not sure I understand your question. I'm referring to problems with the STM32Cube libraries.

James

Is there a non ST MCU free software library to benchmark from? Which would be better in regards to the 3 points mentionned previously?

Rob.Riggs
Senior II

STM32CubeProgrammer for Android. Would love to be able to program devices in the field with OTG cable from my phone.