cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 STM32 Wish List

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Dear Community Members & STM32 fans,

Let’s end 2018 thanking you for your involvement in our Community and wishing you all the best for 2019!

0690X000006CwKbQAK.jpg

As already done in 2017 (https://community.st.com/s/feed/0D50X00009bLPmvSAG) and in 2018 (https://community.st.com/s/feed/0D50X00009bLSAKSA4), we open this space to hear from you.

This is an opportunity for us to evaluate what we deliver as offer and to know your expectations.

If we come back to the STM32 portfolio end of last year, it was like this:

0690X000006CwKgQAK.png

Now the image is getting larger with new products as well as ecosystem components:

0690X000006CwKlQAK.jpg

Compared to the wishes you shared previous years, we weren’t able to answer all proposals for sure, but may be some of our solutions met what you looked for. Like for example: delivering .ioc file in the STM32Cube package which we started with STM32G0...

Either you are a follower of the STM32 history as well as the Community updates, or a new member in this space, would you mind share with us your feedback answering the following 3 questions:

• What shouldn’t be done (don’t say migration to new Community platform or new CubeMX interface (because both of them will be improved)?
  • What you appreciate the most as STM32 related offer?
  • What do you expect/suggest related to the STM32 and its ecosystem?

All together, keep UP our STM32 Community!

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

171 REPLIES 171
Andrea Canepa
Senior

I do motor control.

My ideal MCU would have the peripherals of STM32F303 (many comparators, amplifiers, ADC, etc.) with the Cortex M7 CPU with a frequency of 200/300 MHz at least. There is the STM32H7 series but it has few analog comparators and amplifier, with many other unnecessary peripherals for motor control (HDMI, etc.).

Many requests written by the other members are among those that I also consider necessary.

I would also add:

1. Increase connection flexibility on I/O pins: currently we can select for each pin a single signal that can be "source" or "destination", ie input or output from the pin, this creates limitations. The greater flexibility if the "GPIO alternate function" are used ONLY to select source signals when the pin works as an output, because it is impossible to have more than one source to send to the digital output. The input signals (ie destinations to the various peripherals) should ALWAYS remain active whatever the use of the pin (Input or Output), because this does not create conflicts. Subsequently, in the various peripherals where these signals arrive, it will be possible to select which input to use for a function. In this way I can send the signal present on an input pin to several peripherals at the same time (Timer, SPI, etc.), I could command an output with a PWM and simultaneously verify that it is working properly by means of a timer that picks up its status logical. All this is what some competitors do (for example the Infineon XMC series), as you can see the "alternate" are only signal sources to send to the output transistor, while the logic state of the pin is unique and goes to some peripherals, which can also be used simultaneously. Look at this: 0690X000006D9eMQAS.jpg
  2. The "Peripheral interconnect matrix" is too RIGID. The number of connections between the various devices must be increased. It is not permissible that between two timers there is only one connection (TRGO) that unites them. Suppose I have to combine two timers to count over 16 bits and I must also share the start commands and direction (in addition to the counting clock obviously), how can I do?
  3. We need a block that can connect the peripheral to each other to link the various signals from peripheral. Now I am forced to use external pins and combine them with copper tracks to send signals that can not be sent internally because the connections are missing. For curiosity, take a look at the XBAR peripheral found in the NXP KV5 series MCUs.

Other suggestions have already been written and I do not want to repeat.

Andrea

S.Ma
Principal

When debugging, the GPIO port is shown as hexa address, same for the pin position.

While there might be misra or other coding constrain, a #define DEBUG compile mode where the pin name and peripheral locations are replaced from (random value, don't want to spend time browsing the specs)

#define GPIOA 0x2000204

replaced by

typedef enum {

GPIOA = 0x2000204; // in debug watch window, I will see the human readable "GPIOA" and not the hex value...

This could also extend to define a single pin which could be simply named like:

typdef enum {

PA0, PA1, PA2.... } which could even handle unsupported or not present pin by package type. (PK3 = -1?). a port + pin can info can be retrieved from a 8 or 16 bit index value.

As a sub cateogry, the STM32 Code Example Wish List thread here:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000AFpPcMSQV/2019-stm32-code-example-wish-list

seems more like a dynamic variable length serial bit stuffer bus, in short: 16 bit register, bit 0..7 is 1 to 8 bits, and bit 8..15 tells how many valid bits to push in? Same for deserializer.

vml
Associate III

WE NEED OPEN FOR USERS ISSUE TRACKER!

Currently there is no differentiation among issues and questions in communication with ST. So lot of ISSUES are kept in big heap of QUESTIONS from users. The industry in many areas is using open for users issue trackers and bug trackers. Why not to use the same for ST?

Currently it seems the ST has inside issue tracker but users are not able to access it and add something to issues OR see the current state of issue (ST thinks it was fixed OR issue is in progress of fixing OR ST decided to leave everything as it is and do not fix it).

For example please see this issue about high DPI problem in GUI of CubeMX4

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X00009XkfPjSAJ/stm32cubemx-on-uhd-4k-display-clock-configuration-diagram-too-small-to-see

St's employeу answered "I will report your issue to our CubeMx teamfor checking and will come back to you as soon as possible" in 2016 ... and nobody sees any ST employeу in this issue for 2+ years since then.

In two years CubeMX5 was introduced ... where this problem is EVEN LARGER! New ussue was created by community

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000A1lWHASQ2/cubemx5-seems-totally-useless-for-developers-with-high-dpi-monitors-

And again the same person is saying "I raised your issue internally to CubeMx team for check and we will come back to you soon"

Answer me ... what is current state of the problem. ST thinks it was fixed, is fixing (plan to fix in version 5.) or what? Or ST decided not to fix the problem (the same way as it was for CubeMX4)?

Or more global quesiton ... what issues are most valueable for user and need to be fixed first right now?

User's feedback is almost impossible to manage efficiently without open for users issue tracker.

So I would like to see ST have open for users issue tracker.

May be such system have more help for software compared with hardware (because it is much easier to change software compared to ICs). OK. Let's use it for SOFTWARE PRODUCTS ONLY.

May be ST does not want to show problems of payed software because of people payed for it and will see that product has many issues. OK. Let's have it only for software which is given free of charge. So nobody could blame ST in issues because you get at least someting FOR FREE

May be ST is actively developing only some software product. OK. Let's have issue tracker only for most active software product of ST.

May be ST have no resources to create issue tracker at this site. OK. ST have github account https://github.com/STMicroelectronics and can create new repository ABSOLUTELY FREE just to manage User's feedback (without sharing the code or something like that). Let's first open repository for just CubeMX as the flagship of ST's software or any other big software product ST selects.

Management of ST's user's issues is a nightmare right now! Really!

No software product can be as effective for users as with help of open issue tracking system (because software developers have their vision of user's life and this vision can miss many aspect of real user's life)

Prior to the acquisition of Atollic and Draupner I don't think ST had a very competent software team. If I were ST I would get the TouchGFX or Atollic team to create a new STM32CubeMX application as the current software is a complete disaster. As I suggested in a previous post, I would open source the MCU support packages to allow the community to fix bugs as they are found.

Andy

wan512
Associate II

How about a solution for Biometric Smartcard: [STM32WB + ST31/ST33] + FP_Sensor

STM32WB and ST31/ST33 comes as a SiP, and exports several peripherials e.g. 

SPI[FP_Sensor, EPD], I2C/GPIOs[LEDs/Buzzer].

ST31 should be best than ST33, for ST31 has RF interface.

Joerg Wagner
Senior III

Increase the Timer Input Filter. fDTS=32*8*4 is not enough as a maximum value.

Noisy signals from low speed sensors in industrial environment cannot be filtered

properly with a Timer which is connected to >100MHz bus.

I don't want to slow down the bus because other interfaces, i.e. SPI would be influenced as well.

Or establish a new bus lane where some timers are linked to, like APB4 in H743.

Or no new bus lane and extend LPTIMx with ETR inputs.

This lack of the bundle TIMx and other interfaces on the same bus forces me to use a 2nd MCU,

like 32F413 to handle the sensor signals .

Until your wish comes true, a very effective filter is a comparator circuit with hysteresis. With a search you can find application notes by comparator manufacturers. Investigate if an MCU comparator can be configured with external components for hysteresis.

Cheers. Hal

Julien FAUCHER
Associate III

Add an interconnection matrix which would allows the user to map *any* function to *any* pin. (With maybe an exception for some pins such as cristal inputs and programmation pins )