cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Bug: Motor Speed Limitation on F0/C0 MCUs 6-STEP algorithm

GustavEckerbom
Associate II

Hello there,

I've encountered a problem when running motors with the F0 and C0 families. Perhaps this is already a known limitation, but I thought it still deserves a post.

I don't need this to be solved, as I won’t be using these controllers for my particular project, but it could be a bug, so I figured posting this as a bug report might be a good idea.

Hardware setup:

• NUCLEO-F030R8 / NUCLEO-C031C6 / NUCLEO-G431RB / NUCLEO-F401RE
  • X-NUCLEO-IHM11M1
  • Custom SM-PMSM Motor: 7 pole pairs / 1.2 Apk / 0.11 Ohm / 0.018 mH

Software:

• MCSDK 6.3 / 6-STEP Algorithm 

I'm setting up the project through MCWB, and the only changes I make in the project are the REV up parameters and setting up MotorPilot to enable open-loop control. The generated project has a PWM frequency of 50 kHz, and yes, I know that's way above the recommended 10 kHz for an F0/C0 board. However, I have tried altering the PWM frequency to 10 kHz and 25 kHz, among others, and the problem still occurs.

The problem:

When I run the motor on the F0/C0, the motor speed saturates at a fixed ~12k RPM (at least that’s what's reported to the user in MotorPilot). However, if I repeat this process with the F4 or G4, the motor spins much faster, easily reaching 20kRPM. It wouldn’t be surprising if the F0/C0 MCUs don’t support those higher RPMs, but there’s no warning to the user that the MCU is overloaded or anything, so I suspect it could be a bug.

Best regards,

Gustav Eckerbom

0 REPLIES 0