cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import a motor into Motor Control Workbench

Batuhan35
Associate II

Hi,

I have emax cf2820 1200kv brushless dc motor and i want to drive it with X-NUCLEO-IHM07M1 motor driver and NUCLEO-G071RB control board. Since the motor I have is not registered in the workbench, I need to import it as a JSON file. Could you tell me what parameters need to be included in the JSON file? Or should I modify one of the existing motors to match my own, even though it's a PMSM motor?

Best Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello Batuhan,

You will be happy to learn that our MCSDK provide a MotorProfiler tool (check the help tab of the MotorPilot for documentation) that allows you to detect your motor parameters and save it as a .json file for the Workbench to use afterwards.

If you are confident with your motor parameters, you can always check an already existing motor file (C:\...\MC_SDK_6.3.0\Utilities\PC_Software\STMCWB\assets\hardware\motor) and see what parameters are needed. Also know that all relevant information concerning that last part can be found on our ST MC Wiki.

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello Batuhan,

You will be happy to learn that our MCSDK provide a MotorProfiler tool (check the help tab of the MotorPilot for documentation) that allows you to detect your motor parameters and save it as a .json file for the Workbench to use afterwards.

If you are confident with your motor parameters, you can always check an already existing motor file (C:\...\MC_SDK_6.3.0\Utilities\PC_Software\STMCWB\assets\hardware\motor) and see what parameters are needed. Also know that all relevant information concerning that last part can be found on our ST MC Wiki.

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello again,

I just realised that the Profiler tool does not support the STM32G0. Please use another MCU for Profiling or create the .json manually as said in the second part of my previous post.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

Hello,

So you're suggesting that I can work with the STM32G0 after profiling the motor with another MCU?

Gael A
ST Employee

Exactly, as long as your motor is profiled and registered inside the WorkBench, you can create a project with it and any supported board, included ones with an STM32G0

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

Hi @Gael A 

I got the STM32 F411RE to profile the motor, but now I have a new problem. After watching a few videos on how to profile a motor, I learned that I should generate a project in the Motor Control Workbench first. However, the Motor Control Workbench does not support the STM32 F411RE with the X-NUCLEO-IHM07M1 motor driver, which feels like a chicken-and-egg situation. Is there any way to profile the motor without using the Workbench?

Hello Batuhan,

The list of all MCUs supported by the MCSDK can be found in the Release Note (Via WorkBench, click on About -> Documentations -> Release Notes)

As I said in my first reply, we have a Wiki page that tells you what parameters you need and how you can find them to create your motor parameters file without using the Profiler. You can use the Profiler without the WB if you downgrade your MCSDK to version 5.4.8 but you will face the same issue as STM32F411 has never been supported, better stick to version 6.3.0.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.