cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm trying to run a 3-phase AC induction motor with a rating of 1HP or1/2 HP & for that, I want to use NUCLEO-F401RE, X-NUCLEO-IHM09M1, EVALSTDRIVE601.

LPari.1
Associate

Waiting for you support and reply.

Best Regards,

Litan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear @LPari.1​ 

There is now in the last SDK version demonstration firmware example projects for ACIM showing how the STM32 MC SDK can be used to drive an asynchronous induction motor (ACIM) in field-oriented control (FOC) using a sensorless state observer algorithm to estimate the electrical and mechanical speed and position of the rotor and the rotor flux, or in V/F open-loop sensorless mode.

Please have a look on our STM32 Motor Control Knowledge database here: https://wiki.st.com/stm32mcu/wiki/STM32MotorControl:SDK_AC_induction_motor .

Best regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LPari.1
Associate

But I didn't find any Example code or source code to test it from MCSDK.

Need the help regarding same.

Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @LPari.1​ welcome to the ST Community.

there is no example code available to drive the EVALSTRIVE601 and NUCLEO-F401RE.

First of all check the board jumpers position according to the target configuration:

• by default 3-shunt configuration (JP2 and JP3 open) or single shunt (closing JP2 and JP3 open)
  • by default sensorless JP18, JP19, JP20 pins 1-2 closed or Hall/Encoder motor speed sensors (changing to JP18, JP19, JP20 pins 2-3 closed and connecting sensors signals to J6)

Then connect the Nucleo board to the EVALSTRIVE601 through the expansion board:

• Connect motor phases to terminals J2.1, J2.2, J2.3 taking care of the motor phases’ sequence
  • Supply the board through connector J1 (HV) and J3 (VCC), taking care of correct polarity

Now you can generates a New Project with MC Workbench following these steps:

1. Open the MC Workbench and click on "New Project" (top-left corner)
  2. In the new project windows Select Boards "Power & Control":
  • control dropdown menù select "NUCLEO-F401RE"
    • Power dropdown menù select "custom"
    • Motor dropdown menù select "Generic High voltage > 50V
    • Press OK

Here you can customize the project parameters according to the EVALSTRIVE601 components (Bus Voltage Sensing, Current sensing, Over Current protection, ecc) and save the project by clicking on the "Save" button.

This is the configuration file of parameters used, then you can generate the code by clicking on "Generation" button.

In the generation windows you can set more parameters and after create the custom folder with your library code.

Last but not least I suggest to use a USB isolator between board and PC.

Let me know if this information has been useful to you.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution"
Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear @LPari.1​ 

There is now in the last SDK version demonstration firmware example projects for ACIM showing how the STM32 MC SDK can be used to drive an asynchronous induction motor (ACIM) in field-oriented control (FOC) using a sensorless state observer algorithm to estimate the electrical and mechanical speed and position of the rotor and the rotor flux, or in V/F open-loop sensorless mode.

Please have a look on our STM32 Motor Control Knowledge database here: https://wiki.st.com/stm32mcu/wiki/STM32MotorControl:SDK_AC_induction_motor .

Best regards

Mh.1
Associate II

I am interested to hear any further update in this area!

I am trying to drive a BLDC/PMSM at 24V (5A max total system consumption) with my NUCLEO-G431RB and I have just acquired EVALSTDRIVE601 for testing purposes. I hope the ability for high freq PWM on this STDRIVE601 will offer improved top speed compared to STEVAL-IPM30B, I believe the PWM on IPM30B is the reason my system cannot exceed 16,000 RPM or so, does this sound accurate?

(the following paragraph refers to my experience working with IPM30B, not STDRIVE601)

Re: PWM, I am struggling to control PWM via workbench Monitor, it seems I can only change PWM by adjusting PWM_FREQUENCY in drive_parameters.h, then attempt to play with other params in that file and observe behavior in Workbench Monitor. The default 16kHz seems the most stable after some align/closed/open tuning in the WB Monitor and I can then reach 16kRPM reliably when I spin the dial to the max, however 18/20/24kHz does not appear to give me any headroom, in fact my system becomes unstable and motor fails beyond 15 kRPM. At 12kHz and 14 kHz PWM I cannot complete startup sequence to reach a stable closed-loop RPM.

Now after prepping my EVALSTDRIVE601 I am struggling to get any results with Profiler or Workbench. I can hear lots of funny noises when I click Start Motor in Workbench but that's about it, any guidance is welcome here. Can I achieve meaningful results in workbench alone or do I need to jump straight into my code since it's a "custom" power board?

Thank you, ST team and community, development with these tools is truly a pleasure ��

Dear

Probably this other question should have a dedicated thread because the original question is about ACIM drive.

Regarding the usage of the EVALSTDRIVE601 as power stage, I checked in the MC-SDK 5.4.8 (the most updated v5.x version) ST MC Workbench but seems that this power stage is not present among the board supported out-of-the-box. In this case you have to configure it by yourself creating a project with "custom" power board and manually filling all the required parameters of the power stage. Just to mention some of the most important are the PWM polarity signal, current sensing parameters, voltage sensing, etc. You have to get these information from the documentation of the board itself or taking a look at the schematics.

Ciao

Gigi