cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update 2018 STM32F3 Motor Control Hands-On Workshop to use current versions of software on Windows 10 and port to macOS Big Sur?

Mike Wirth
Associate II

Folks, I was pleased to attend this workshop in Santa Clara, CA, two years ago and receive the hardware (Nucleo-F302R8, X-Nucleo-IHM07M1, small BLDC motor and power adapter) and workshop software (bundled in an installer). Still have all of this, including the workshop documentation Was disappointed to miss this year's session (Cancelled do to the COVID-19 pandemic?)

Therefore, I would like to reinstall the (software) components with their current versions. What's the easiest way to accomplish this, start with the 2018 version and update each component individually, or essentially recreate the workshop bundled installer and install from new components, stitching them together.

And while we're at it, I would much prefer to setup this new workshop environment under macOS (Big Sur) rather than in a Win10 VM using Parallels. Is this possible (noting that STM32CubeMX runs on the Mac, MCSDK is implemented in Java, etc.)? Or are some of the necessary components or integration only available in the Windows environment?

TIA,

Mike

4 REPLIES 4
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @Community member​ ,

If I understand correctly you have the P-NUCLEO-IHM002 Motor Control Nucleo Pack.

I do not know the contents of workshop software, but in the dedicated page linked above you can find all the documentation and the updated software.

Concerning the macOS platform, please give more details on what do you want to do.

What programs would you like to use?

Please share more info, so I try to help you.

Mike Wirth
Associate II

Cristiana,

Thanks for the prompt and informative reply. with the information you provided and some effort on my part, I think I've succeeded in installing a full set of software components in my Windows 10 VM so I can repeat the demos from the 2018 Motor Control workshop, with updated software versions, but subject to resolving two issues (see below). So my plan of attack breaks down into two steps: Get the Win10 environment up and running sufficient to repeat the 2018 workshop, and after testing with that, see if a working subset can be moved to the macOS environment. Yes, I do have a  P-NUCLEO-IHM002 Motor Control Nucleo Pack.

The two obstacles I have preventing the Win10 environment from working are:

1. I cannot connect to the Nucleo-F302R8 (with STM32F302R8) board with ST-Link. This is probably because the board was setup with the mbed boot loader when I last used it a couple years ago. Thus when I connect the board to the USB port of my Win10 VM, it acts like a thumb drive and loads as a thumb drive named "NODE_F302R8" containing the files expected for an mbed device. ST-Link doesn't see any device, even if I "eject" the drive in Windows. (Operation under macOS is the same; loads as a thumb drive.). I've seen this issue before with another brand of SBCs (i.e., Nordic). Had to reload a different boat loader to switch between boot behaviors. Can you tell me how to restore the Nucleo-F302R8 to original (non-mbed) behavior or enable ST-Link to be able to communicate with it?
  2. The original Motor Control Workshop used the IAR Commercial ARM compiler and provided a limited 4-day license (now long expired). I plan to use the open/source GCC compiler and the corresponding version of your IDE. I will undoubtedly have some questions when I attempt to port the motor Control Demo app from IAR to GCC. I'll come back here to ask them as they're encountered.

Thanks,

Mike

Hello @Community member​,

the ST-Link is out of my area of expertise. I am trying to collect useful information from MCU experts.

Concerning the point 2, I hope everything goes smoothly 😊

Thanks @Cristiana SCARAMEL​ for pointing out to me this post.

Hello @Community member​ ,

Regarding your issue with ST-Link: Try to upgrade the latest STLINK version by clicking on windows: ST-LINK -> Firmware upgrade -> Device connect -> Yes.

Then, please tell me if that solve your issue.

You can also use (with admin rights) the recommended 'All-in-one' software tool: STM32CubeProgrammer which delivers device-programming and firmware upgrade for STM32 microcontrollers.

Please keep us informed about your progress on this issue.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen