cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the timing diagram about writing TIMx_CNT register

Yang Yang
Associate II

Hello, ST expert

STM32F407 is used for our custom design. And htim2 play the role of precise timing base.

When htim2->Instance.CNT = xx  is used for setting a new counter start value for timer2, it seems that the new counter value does not functions immediately, I mean that the next counter value does not appear one clock period later. 

Is there any timing diagram when TIMx_CNT register is written by user program?

BR

Yang

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As you haven't posted further details, let me guess: you have an external interrupt (EXTI) set to trigger upon edge on the GPS PPS signal, and in the interrupt service routine, you decide upon some flag, whether

A) to set TIM2_CNT or

B) to read out its value and store/check/process.

If yes, then the main difference is in the amount of software executed for those two cases A) and B).

JW

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

There isn't

Several things clocking at different speeds, assume write to AHB->APB is going to take in the order of 4 cycles. and is deferred through 2 write buffers. You need to use a fencing instruction like DSB or a memory read to force completion / in-order-execution 

The TIM are synchronous, but can run at 2x the APB clock, the prescaler (PSC) is not visible to you, so CNT may latch vs count apt to be somewhat unpredictable for PSC != 0

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
BarryWhit
Senior

[Retracted]

- If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
- Once you've solved your issue, please consider posting a summary with any additional details you've learned. Your new knowledge may help others in the future.

> the next counter value does not appear one clock period later. 

True, as @Tesla DeLorean said above too; but why does it matter?

JW

Hello, BarryWhit

I am sorry for the unclear description. I am talking about the TIMx_CNT register.

YangYang_0-1719188028859.png

BR

Yang

Hello, jan

According to my measurement, it takes effect after about 4 micro seconds in the case of 8MHz CPU main frequency, 4MHz htim2 clock frequency. That means the next counter value appears 4 micro seconds later. I am not sure this is correct. Is 4 micro seconds delay possible?

In our application, the interval between two successive GPS PPS(pulse per second) signal should be recorded precisely. E.g. After the first PPS, the htim2->Instance.CNT set to 0, and when the next PPS comes, the interval is recorded using the change of htim2. And I found that the first interval is always 1 second minus 4 micro second, but the later intervals are always precise 1 second. So I doubt that the reason is the delay.

BR

Yang

As you haven't posted further details, let me guess: you have an external interrupt (EXTI) set to trigger upon edge on the GPS PPS signal, and in the interrupt service routine, you decide upon some flag, whether

A) to set TIM2_CNT or

B) to read out its value and store/check/process.

If yes, then the main difference is in the amount of software executed for those two cases A) and B).

JW

BarryWhit
Senior

the interval between two successive GPS PPS(pulse per second) signal should be recorded precisely.

Isn't this exactly what timer input capture is for? you can also (on G4 at least) configure the peripheral so that each input capture resets the count. That gets you a time-difference value for free. You can use DMA to write these delta values into a buffer offloading the CPU from both the memory accesses and the math (you said you're running at 8Mhz, so save your cycles). The resulting precision should be very high.

Update:  remember to discard the first delta value, since its t=0 is the moment you start the counter in software, and not the moment an edge occurs on the external pin.

- If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
- Once you've solved your issue, please consider posting a summary with any additional details you've learned. Your new knowledge may help others in the future.

> you can also (on G4 at least) configure the input capture event to reset the counter after each capture event, so that you get a delta value for free

That's available on all STM32; but be aware of that that delta is off by an undocumented value (one or two cycles - @Tesla DeLorean posted an experimentally found value this in the past), due to the slave-mode controller quite understandably delaying the reset after the capture.

Calculating deltas "manually" from the captures is a sure bet.

JW

Hi, Barry

Seems a very good idea, I will have a try later. Thank you very much.

BR

Yang