cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H743VIT6 can't connect with a LAN8720!

DK.7
Senior

I have WeAct STM32H743 (STM32H743VIT6 ) and I can't connect it with a LAN8720 module!

I did all my steps according by example from this link https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/stm32cubeh7.html

But, it doesn't help me!

How to find out at what stage I have break a code?

5 REPLIES 5
Muhammed Güler
Senior III

Did you try this ​https://community.st.com/s/article/How-to-create-project-for-STM32H7-with-Ethernet-and-LwIP-stack-working

Thanks for the answer!

Unfortunately I only have the ability to connect only RMII mode. Do you have the same detailed instruction but for RMII Mode?

RRoma.4
Associate II

Hello, No idea from your writing what happen nor issue type to try help you.

At first are you using a custom board? How did you connected PHY 8720 to board?

Is some way software running or terminate with hard fault?

8720 is an RMII only device like the 8742, this need change PHY driver. Browse forum, you can find driver and instruction to patch software.

MS.9
Associate III

Hi DK.

Did you ever sort this out?

I have exactly the same problem. I've tried the the LAN8720 and DP83848. with no luck.

I've tried it on the WeAct STM32H743 and the WeAct STM32H723. I've spent several days on this so far - and I've tried absolutley everything I can think of.

I have tried the LAN8720 and DP83848 on modified nucleo boards (the H743ZI) and they both work fine -

Note the LAN8720  is dropping packets on the Nucleo, but the LAN8720 isn't compatable with the H7, because of timing issues - there is a post on this somewhere - this is why the LAN8720  isn't in the HAL for the H7. But apart from dropped packets it works with ping 80% (on the Nucleo). The DP83848 is rock solid.

thanks

Mark

LCE
Principal

So you have the MDIO working and "talk" to the PHY?

I had a retransmission problem when PHY was connected in full duplex, but STM32 worked in half-duplex because of reading the wrong PHY register / bit concerning auto-negotiation / success.