cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why there is no USB connector provided for USB FS peripheral in STM32F769I Discovery Kit?

BParh.1
Senior III

So I bought STM32F769I Discovery Kit but only to find there is no USB connector provided to access the MCU USB FS peripheral. It only provide for USB HS, why so?

How can then I do verification on the USB FS peripheral of the MCU?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The DISCOVERY kits are intended to be able to evaluate as many functions of the target STM32 as possible. For this purpose, many peripherals are already connected, including external components, e.g. sensors.

But unfortunately the number of pins of each STM32 is limited, which is why it is not possible to make all imaginable functions available in the DISCOVERY at the same time. In order to actually be able to test all functions, either an EVALUATION board is required, or a customer-specific design.

Good luck!

If the problem is resolved, please mark this topic as answered by selecting Select as best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The DISCOVERY kits are intended to be able to evaluate as many functions of the target STM32 as possible. For this purpose, many peripherals are already connected, including external components, e.g. sensors.

But unfortunately the number of pins of each STM32 is limited, which is why it is not possible to make all imaginable functions available in the DISCOVERY at the same time. In order to actually be able to test all functions, either an EVALUATION board is required, or a customer-specific design.

Good luck!

If the problem is resolved, please mark this topic as answered by selecting Select as best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
BParh.1
Senior III

Thank you @Peter BENSCH​ , but this same limitation of pin number does apply to both DISCOVERY and EVAL board right? Since both board built from the same MCU? How is it then EVALUATION board can address this issue?

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Although the same TFBGA216 is present on the EVALUATION board, significantly fewer sensors and other devices are connected externally so that more pins can be used freely, e.g. FS USB. But of course you can also reach limits here, which is why it is called EVALUATION board and not Universal Development Platform.

BParh.1
Senior III

Thank you @Peter BENSCH​ , that clarify and certainly I miss this point before buying it :).

My intention was to create one virtual com port and one USB Host out of this MCU. I was planning to leverage USB FS to make virtual com port and leverage USB HS to create USB Host. I wonder if there is any alternative to achieve this from Discovery board? Or it has to be as you suggested either buying Eval board or customized board?

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

You can use this DISCOVERY if you just need one system with VCP + HS USB, because the embedded ST-LINK already provides a VCP.

Please also keep our Terms Of Use in mind when using our DISCOVERY or other boards.

BParh.1
Senior III

I am not sure if we have misunderstanding here @Peter BENSCH​ , I am just using this Discovery board for prototyping, to ensure I can develop VCP and USB HS on the associated MCU before committing to develop the custom board. But my understanding the embedded ST-Link are just additional extra board for debugging purpose and powered by different controller ? And it is not really connected to the MCU of interest's peripheral? Thank you for your patience.

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

These are now several questions:

Right, the embedded STLINK is actually an extra board that is supplied from its USB port.

However, it is connected to a UART of the target MCU, the number of which depends on the respective derivative, in the case of your 32F469IDISCOVERY it is USART3. This UART is routed as VCP through the FS USB of the STLINK.

So if USART3 is ok for you, you can use this setup like this.

If I see it correctly, both OTG_FS_DM and OTG_FS_DP are brought out to the Arduino header. The routing is not optimal and I'd certainly disconnet the LED by opening SB15, but IMO it would be worth a shot.

JW

BParh.1
Senior III

Aha, I got it now, thank you so much @Peter BENSCH​ for the enlightenment :).

Thank you @Community member​ , do you happen to have the PCB layout? Yeah I think it is worth a shot, will try certainly