cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using LCD-TFT controller without HAL

sk12
Associate II

Hello, i am trying to configure the on-board TFT-LCD on STM32F429-Disc0 board and i want to do it without using HAL drivers, every tutorial on youtube or other platforms i see, are using CubeMX or HAL or both. I understand we need SPI5 to configure the ILI9341 peripheral (unlike the STM32F7 where only LTDC config is required), i feel there are less resources to - 
1) understand the data sheet of the LCD peripheral, its way complicated for a beginner  
2) understand the LTDC registers in the reference manual, and what default values should be put into them
3) creating functions to write something on the LCD screen, to draw and more, very complex and no one has explained them properly on youtube. 

I know there is a CubeMX example available which shows stm logo on screen but it also uses HAL and is complicated to understand a proper code structure and the flow of the code and what to do and when. 

Any suggestions/guidance?

11 REPLIES 11

So "delve deeply" and don't expect everyone to explain the details in a form suitable for someone who knows nothing. You don't learn to swim in the middle of the ocean.

Medical and Aerospace tend not to use external libraries as there's no way to be sure what's in there or how robust it is, and how well it is maintained. They build from the bottom up with code they own and can validate, as they can't offload the liability of it being wrong by pointing at someone else.

The Reference Manuals have historically been the source of authoritative detail. Yes, you'll need a foundation of knowledge. How would you get that? Perhaps by reading books on the topics. There's plenty of material out there, just don't expect others to read it to you, or present it in video form.

Coding for 8-bit micro's was out-dated 30 years ago, sort of things kids did in secondary school 40+ years ago without YouTube/internet to explain everything.

Pivoting into 16 and 32-bit MCU shouldn't be that hard, the ARM MCU are very orthogonal in their design.

Unwind the HAL/SPL implementations, counterpoint those with the internal details expressed in the reference manual. Focus on the area's that are important to you first. It's easier to understand and unpick something that is working than to figure out why something with thousands of critical moving parts isn't working properly.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

The ILI9341 is a well-known and widely used chip; you should be able to find plenty of examples, etc - even for your PIC16F

It's not an ST Product, so this really isn't the place to get support on it!