cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target unknown error 19

RWebb.1
Associate II

I am using STMCubeIDE v1.7 on MacOS 10.15.7 and connecting to my target via an STLINK V3. I updated CubeIDE to v1.7 and it suggested an update to the STLINK. Since doing that update I am not able to connect to my target (STM32F405). Errors given are:

STMicroelectronics ST-LINK GDB server. Version 5.9.1

Copyright (c) 2021, STMicroelectronics. All rights reserved.

Starting server with the following options:

Persistent Mode      : Disabled

Logging Level       : 1

Listen Port Number     : 61234

Status Refresh Delay    : 15s

Verbose Mode        : Disabled

SWD Debug         : Enabled

InitWhile         : Enabled

Target unknown error 19

Error in initializing ST-LINK device.

Reason: Unknown. Please check power and cabling to target.

In the problem occurred dialog

Error in final launch sequence:

Failed to start GDB server

Failed to start GDB server

Error in initializing ST-LINK device.

Reason: (255) Unknown. Please check power and cabling to target.

Previous to this udate I was able to connected with no problem though that was a couple of months back. There is no problem with the connection from STLINK to my board.

Any help with this would be appreciated

Thankyou

Reg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RWebb.1
Associate II

Thankyou for the help with this, one thing I was confused between CubeProgrammer and CubeIDE (need more sleep). When connecting via CubeProgrammer it would see the STLINK but when attempting connecting to the board the CubeProgrammer would just die.

To cut a long story short I eventually found that the ground connection to the STLINK had become disconnected but was actually showing as connected when measuring. The disconnection had made the ground take a longer route which when re-connected correctly the system started working again.

My apologies for taking your time with such a simple fix.

Reg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TDK
Guru

Is it a custom target board?

What happens if you connect in STM32CubeProgrammer? Does target voltage, chip id, etc, show up correctly?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
RWebb.1
Associate II

Thankyou for the reply TDK. Yes this is a custom board so am not able to connect directly to STM32CubeProgrammer

The ST-LINK / STM32 Cube Programmer really shouldn't care that you're using a custom board.

The SWD / JTAG pins just need to be attached appropriately.

If your F405 isn't functioning, perhaps you need to look at the VDDA supply, and what's happening with the VCAP pins. You should be able to see around 1.2V. Check the capacitors have the correct values.

Check the orientation of your part.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
You should be able to connect using STM32CubeProgrammer to a custom board using ST-Link just as you can with an ST board. If it doesn't work, it suggests there is a hardware error, perhaps in the schematic, perhaps somewhere else.
If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
RWebb.1
Associate II

Thankyou for the help with this, one thing I was confused between CubeProgrammer and CubeIDE (need more sleep). When connecting via CubeProgrammer it would see the STLINK but when attempting connecting to the board the CubeProgrammer would just die.

To cut a long story short I eventually found that the ground connection to the STLINK had become disconnected but was actually showing as connected when measuring. The disconnection had made the ground take a longer route which when re-connected correctly the system started working again.

My apologies for taking your time with such a simple fix.

Reg

Bro, i am using NUCLEO-WL55JC2 (STM32 development board) and i am facing the same problem, but now i have closed the STM32 CUBE PROGRAMMER completely , but it is still not working , how could i solve this problem?

Board picture is attached below

were you able to solve the problem? if yes, how? I am using the same board and suddenly started facing this problem again. when i first faced it, i just needed to download some st-link servers and it got resolved but now nothing is working.