Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L452RET6 Question

iHamd.1
Associate II

Hi all,

I am using the STM32L452RET6 On my board and i have 2 quiestion regarding it:

1) VDD12 Net - how to set my hardware when i am not using external DC/DC? floating? GND? just a cap? if so what size?

2) when entering boot mode and going over the i/o voltage i noticed a few anomalies -

a) some USART legs were 3.3V and some not (USART1 both 0V, USART2 only one is 3.3V and USART3 Both were 3.3V) - why is that?

b) PA0 GPIO is 3.3V for some reason - why is that? couldn't find a purpose on datasheet.

Thanks in advance,

Ido

6 REPLIES 6

Note, that there are two different versions of STM32L452RET6 - VDD12 pin is present only on models with external SMPS, i.e. with P suffix.

Pins in bootloader may have enabled internal pullups/pulldowns, see AN2606.

JW

its the STM32L452RET6P vresion.

If External SMPS is not required, What do i do with it?

Hi @iHamd.1​ ,

I suggest you refer to the following application notes:

• AN4555: Getting started with STM32L4 Series and STM32L4+ Series hardware development
  • AN4978: Design recommendations for STM32L4xxxx with external SMPS, for ultra-low-power applications with high performance

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi Amel,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I already went through these applications...

In AN4978 it says: 0693W00000QLNYvQAP.pngFrom these sentences, can i assume that if i leave VDD12 with NO EXT SMPS AT ALL it is okay since the internal LDO will supply the internal logic?

Also, what do i do with these pins? i examined the STM32L452RETP NUCLEO Evaluation board and saw 2 1nF caps for the VDD12 pins.

0693W00000QLNZFQA5.png So what do i do with the VDD12 Pins if i do not use ANY EXT SMPS?:

1) Leave floating

2) Connect a cap to GND.

Thanks in advance,

Ido

M4R10
Associate III

Hello,

here I have the same question about VDD12, leave floating or connect a cap to GND?

Can somebody says what we should do with this?

thanks

Piranha
Chief II

From AN4555.

Section 2.1 Power supplies:

VDD12 ... It does not need any external capacitance and cannot drive an external load.

Section 2.2 Power supply schemes:

As these VDD12 pin are also connected to internal regulators, they cannot accommodate a decoupling capacitance, neither can they be shared with an external circuitry for other purposes.

Figure 3. Power supply scheme: no components connected to VDD12.