cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7 rookie error

MarkDGPotter
Associate

Hi, everyone.

I recently bought a STM32H750B-DK devboard to try and learn to program microcontrollers. I'm beginning to think I should have started with something simpler...

I tried following the "getting started with STM32" tutorial from the wiki. SO, I installed the STMCubeMX, STMCUBEIDE and STMCubeProgrammer as instructed. It seemed to be aimed at the L4 series, so of course I swapped out that for the H7 embedded software packages.

This let me load up some demo software packages. I started with LTDC_Paint. Loaded, Built, and tried to write to the board.

The first attempt failed, but I discovered I needed to get an external loader to put the code onto the external memory. I selected the MT25TL01G_STM32H750B-DISCO since that was the closest match to my board. This allowed the debugger to apparently write the code to my board. The result: a blank white screen. I tried building and rewriting the TouchGFX example program (I have a feeling this is what came pre-installed on the board given the names of the subprograms). Again it seemed to write it without errors, but still a blank white screen.

So, I reckon I must have failed to set up some important parameter or configuration variable in the IDE? Something that the project file expects the user to set up in the programming software? This is my first attempt, so I hope it is an obvious noob mistake that any experienced programmer will spot in an instant, so please can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

Since you are a newbie start to run simple application such as IO toggle from STM32CubeH7 package downloadable from here.

Then if all ok you can try the LTDC examples under the path Projects\STM32H750B-DK\Examples\LTDC

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@MarkDGPotter wrote:

I recently bought a STM32H750B-DK devboard to try and learn to program microcontrollers. I'm beginning to think I should have started with something simpler...

I think you are right!

@MarkDGPotter wrote:

I tried following the "getting started with STM32" tutorial from the wiki. SO, I installed the STMCubeMX, STMCUBEIDE and STMCubeProgrammer as instructed. It seemed to be aimed at the L4 series

That would probably be a better place to start, I think.

Do you have any prior experience with any other kind(s) of programming, and/or electronics?

Mostly Labview and analogue electronics I'm afraid. I will buy a simpler board and try the tutorials on that one; thanks for the advice.