cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nucleof446 UART

harry123
Senior

Hi

• I am trying to communicate between arm processor and nucleo board through uart 
  • The processor has a type b usb , to interface with computer.
  • For the same usb I am connecting my Nucelo board through usb type B mini and sending the data through it
  • When i connect the device to laptop/computer the communication happens, and when i connect nucleo the communication does not happen.
  • Im giving both power supply and uart communication from usb cable.1.jpeg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@harry123 wrote:
  •      Will the same STM UART transmit receive code that is used for VCP  i.e teraterm/putty works for AT91SAM

The whole point of the standard USB device profiles is that the device is completely oblivious to the nature of the host - it neither knows nor cares whether the host is a PC or a Mac or some  sort of Linux or whatever.

Similarly the Host is completely oblivious to the nature of the device - it just sees a standard Virtual Serial Port.

So the question is: does your SAM board support a VCP?

You can easily find out by just plugging it in - does a VCP device appear?)

It will probably appear as a /dev/ttyACMx (maybe a /dev/ttyUSBx) ::(:(:(

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-products/communication-between-nucleo-f411re-and-raspberry-pi-using-st/m-p/721528/highlight/true#M261168

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@harry123 wrote:
  • I am trying to communicate between arm processor and nucleo board through uart 
  • The processor has a type b usb , to interface with computer.

So this "ARM processor" has a USB Device connection.

The CN1 USB connector on your Nucleo board is also a USB Device connection:

AndrewNeil_0-1727255027976.png

You cannot connect two USB Devices together - a Device can only connect to a Host.

@harry123 wrote:
  • When i connect the device to laptop/computer the communication happens

That's because the computer is a Host.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

What is CN2?

Is that a USB Host port?

AndrewNeil_0-1727255369704.png

•  YES That USB type A port is used to interface a printer
  • and another port USB type is is used to interface with a computer.
  • And I want to have communication between Nucleo and Processor ( I have attached pdf of processor) .

@harry123 wrote:
  • I want to have communication between Nucleo and Processor

The CN1 USB connector on your Nucleo board is a USB Device connection for the Virtual COM Port (VCP) in the ST-Link:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-products/communication-between-nucleo-f411re-and-raspberry-pi-using-st/m-p/721571 

To use that, you must connect it to a USB Host port. That's the way it works.

Instead of using this USB connection, could you use a direct logic-level connection to one of the UARTs on your ARM9 board?

AndrewNeil_0-1727259278863.png

@harry123 wrote:
  •  YES That USB type A port is used to interface a printer

Does it support a Hub - then you could use it for both the printer and the ST-Link VCP ... ?

• It is the  pin PB4 and PB5 of arm processor which is connected to USB device and Interface is happening through PC/laptop. Like sending the data and receving the data.
  • Can I try connecting PB4 and PB5 and GND of arm processor directly to the USART1 pin PA9 and PA10 and GND of my nucleo board through J25(in image)
  • Will the logic level be same between both the boards.
  • Thank you
  •  WhatsApp Image 2024-09-12 at 11.17.46 PM.jpeg

@harry123 wrote:
  • Can I try connecting PB4 and PB5 and GND of arm processor directly to the USART1 pin PA9 and PA10 and GND of my nucleo board through J25(in image)

Which "ARM processor" are you talking about? Both the STM32 and the AT91SAM9G45 are ARM processors!

@harry123 wrote:
  • Will the logic level be same between both the boards.

You need to study the board documentation for that.

AT91SAM9G45 processor.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

There's not enough information in that brief document - you need a more detailed technical manual.

But this Mini6045 board seems to be obsolete and no longer supported - so no idea where you'll find that.