cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demo boards with Micro SD slot that uses standard SPI instead of Quad SPI?

Ricko
Senior II

Hi,

which STM32 dev kit (preferably STM32L4 family if available) has a MicroSD card reader that uses standard SPI (i.e. not Quad SPI)?

Also is there a selection tool that allows you to specify the type of SPI or at least whether it has Micro SD?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

The headers on Nucleo boards are Arduino compatible so, if you can't find a native one, you could fit an Arduino SD Card shield (taking care that Nucleos are all 3V, not 5V).

Or simply wire something like this onto any board:

AndrewNeil_0-1724877812534.jpeg

@Ricko wrote:

Also is there a selection tool that allows you to specify the type of SPI or at least whether it has Micro SD?

You can easily get adaptors to micro SD cards into "full size" sockets - so it shouldn't really matter?

AndrewNeil_2-1724877923830.png

Thank you @Andrew Neil 

I need to read a simple text file from that MicroSD (configured as mentioned above) preferably using the HAL but without any RTOS and I have been looking into FatFs_uSD_Standalone examples and documentation in the STM32L4Cube MCU Package. Is that the correct one to use?

Also, I have been trying to figure out the pins configuration and mapping in that library but 1) in the project there do not seem to be any .ioc files and 2) when I try to see/find the read or write functions (i.e. f_read), there does not seem to be any function source code available, as if it is a pre-compiled library perhaps? Or am I missing something?

Where can I find the .ioc files for a specific example if they are not in the project directory?

Apologies if these are silly questions but just learning the entire ecosystem.

Thank you

They had an Adafruit shield, with an SPI MicroSD card, so code support in BSP Components and related to NUCLEO's

https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeL4/blob/master/Drivers/BSP/Adafruit_Shield/stm32_adafruit_sd.c

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..