cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subject is MOC3021 : What is the typical control voltage ?

MHéna.1
Associate II

Il the decription of the datasheet we can read this text :

They are designed for interfacing between electronic controls and power triacs to control resistive and inductive loads for 115 VAC operations

But in the Typical Application Circuit (figure 12), we can see 240VAC load control

It is contradictory ? Is ot possible to control 240VAC load without risk ?

Best Regards

Malo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

It's all good, we're all here to help each other and put a smile on each other's faces.

However, it's a bit difficult to assess datasheets and figures from them if one don't know which datasheet is currently in front of you. So it would be helpful for a technical discussion if you include the link to the datasheet here (mark the text, e.g. the partnumber, and insert the URL with the link icon below, like I did for the following application note).

BTW: on our website you will find the AN5114 discussing the control of a Triac with a phototriac en détail, which might be helpful for you.

Good luck!

If the problem is resolved, please mark this topic as answered by selecting Select as best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @Malo Hénaff​, to the community!

Only the manufacturer of the MOC3021 can make a statement about dielectric strength - it is not a product of STMicroelectronics. 

When it comes to safety, you must always take a close look at the respective data sheet, because there are usually regulations for this, e.g. UL1577 or DIN EN/IEC 60747-5-5.

Typically the MOC3021 is used at 230/240Vac if the other requirements are met: clearance and creepage distances, insulation, etc.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
MHéna.1
Associate II

Hi Peter

Thank you for your quite response, and sorry for my mistake => I used TRIAC ST component (T1210-6G-TR). I thought it was the same for the TRIAC opto

I m agree with you and my electronic circuit is functionnal (and the layout is correctly respected with your comments 🙂 ). But the description in the datasheet of MOC3021 distubs me, and i want to know some recommandation in addition (and check my electronic choice in the long time)

I will ask to the right manufacturer. Soory again for the inconvenience

Best Regards

Malo

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

It's all good, we're all here to help each other and put a smile on each other's faces.

However, it's a bit difficult to assess datasheets and figures from them if one don't know which datasheet is currently in front of you. So it would be helpful for a technical discussion if you include the link to the datasheet here (mark the text, e.g. the partnumber, and insert the URL with the link icon below, like I did for the following application note).

BTW: on our website you will find the AN5114 discussing the control of a Triac with a phototriac en détail, which might be helpful for you.

Good luck!

If the problem is resolved, please mark this topic as answered by selecting Select as best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter

Hello Peter,

I have received one response from ON SEMICONDUCTOR => It’s was a mistake in the datasheet description :

https://www.mouser.fr/datasheet/2/308/1/MOC3023M_D-2316077.pdf

It’s was confused in this datasheet, but now it’s clear => The component can be used for a 230VAC application (the description indicated 115VAC). Maybe, i was stupid to block with this description, but i want to be sure to to have no problem in the long time (my prototype is functionnal but it’s not debbuged in the long period). But now it’s confirm and i m reassure ☺

Thank again for your time

Best Regard

Malo HENAFF

[contact details removed]