cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finding short library on vl53lox

bogel_pylo
Associate II

I am looking for the shortest library for the vl53lox. I am using the b-l475e-iot01a1 board and i just need some measures on the vl53lox.I look on github but there are just a lot of files so I would like to know if  a less heavy approach exist . Furthermore , I work on cube mx and cube ide.

6 REPLIES 6
John E KVAM
ST Employee

This is going to sound strange, but if you want a small library, consider switching to the VL53L4CD.

The chips are pin-compatible. And have exactly the same shape. 

The differences are that the L0 advertises a max distance of 2M, but has an effective distance of 1.3M when looking at people. The L4CD has a max distance of 1.3M, but the effective distance is also 1.3M.

The L0X is only linear above 4cm or so. The L4CD is linear down to 1mm. 

The L0X has a field of view of 27 degrees, the L4CD FoV is 18 degrees.

But the L4CD has an UltraLite driver - which is only a few K. 

The L4CD is our, latest, best, least expensive 940nm ToF single-zone ToF device.

the L4CD is also fully integrated into the STM32CubeMX.

Unfortunately, the VL53L0X is not.

I know this does NOT answer your question, but at least have a look at the VL53L4CD and see if it works for you. It would save you some development time.

- john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, it is a school project so I can only use this board . Do you know any  tutorial for the installation of all those files and/or do you know a good library for this sensor ?

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@bogel_pylo wrote:

it is a school project

So is the size of the library actually causing you any problem(s) ?

If not - why worry? 

Yes. It is the size but my biggest concern is the compatibility . For example, I found this library  https://github.com/MarcelMG/VL53L0X-STM32F103 but is not for the b-l475e-iot01a1 board.

@bogel_pylo wrote:

Yes. It is the size .

But why is that a concern - again, is the size of the library actually causing you any problem(s) ?

@bogel_pylo wrote:

my biggest concern is the compatibility . 

Not sure how a smaller library is going to be any more "compatible"?

More likely the opposite: a smaller library may be more tightly coupled to specific hardware - because it doesn't have the extra code to make it generic...

ST is not providing more than what could be found on st.com

Hope you could continue with your school project without too many issues

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'