cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL6180 EOL, VL53 as subtitute

Jerald_Santos
Associate

Hello,

We received an EOL status notification for our current sensor VL6180 and I found the VL53L4CD as a substitute for this TOF proximity sensor. We would like to know how long this device will be active, as the VL6180 is now on EOL.

Can you also connect us to one of your Field app engineers to discuss further the differences in application between the VL6180V1NR/1 and VL53L4CD? Thank You.

Regards,

Jerald

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The ST Imaging group - that builds the ToF sensors guarantees 7 years of production on all our parts. The VL6180 lasted more than 10. And we would have kept it in production, except we can no longer procure some of the optical elements. 

The VL53L4CD just came out. So, it has at least 6 more years to run. My guess is that it will run longer though. We will not have procurement issues we had on the 6180.

As to the FAE - I will send you an email and we can talk. 

- john

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

The product page indicates a SEVEN year commitment, see small (7) icon.

Check the support pages for local sales offices. 

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
tiedangdang
Associate II

VL6180  no eol

VL6180 NRND

Available until January 2026, per page.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Based on Digikey the Last Time Buy Date is on 3/28/2025. After that, the status eventually changed to OBSOLETE.

That's why we are asking if the VL53L4CD can be used as an alternate part for the VL6180V1NR/1.

John E KVAM
ST Employee

The ST Imaging group - that builds the ToF sensors guarantees 7 years of production on all our parts. The VL6180 lasted more than 10. And we would have kept it in production, except we can no longer procure some of the optical elements. 

The VL53L4CD just came out. So, it has at least 6 more years to run. My guess is that it will run longer though. We will not have procurement issues we had on the 6180.

As to the FAE - I will send you an email and we can talk. 

- john

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.

The VL53L4CD is the recommended part to be used to replace the VL6180.

Documentation to help on the migration with an example code is coming soon. 

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Maybe I can fill in some details here. 

Anne is right in that the VL53L4CD is the part you should look at. But it's not a direct replacement.

The part is just a bit smaller, has a different pin out, and uses different software. 

So, you need a re-design. 

But...

The VL53L4CD is a better sensor. Ranges people up to the full 1.3Meters. 

The L4CD has a completely invisible 940nm VCSEL (laser light).

The L4CD has a narrower 18-degree Field of View. (Versus 27 degrees)

The L4CD is more accurate - and linear down to 0.

The L4CD has easier software. 

The cost is in the same range as you were paying.

And the L4CD is pin and shape compatible to the VL53L4CX if you ever need more performance.

(If you go from the L4CD to the L4CX, swap the parts, change the API (almost the same function calls),  and you can range to some 6M.)

If you were using the Ambient Light Sensor of the VL6180X, you will need a separate ALS chip. ST makes a tiny one - the VD8283. Consider that one. 

And, of course, you can read the transition documentation when it comes out.  

- john