cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm having some issues reading memory addresses in an STM32L071RB.

NTzov.2
Associate II

Hello, I'm having some issues with an STM32L071RB. I'm unable to read from memory address 0x08020000 onwards because it's supposed to be read/write-protected.

I had similar results on STM32CubeProgrammer and via the I2C bootloader, which are as follow:

• Reading address 0x08020000 from STM32CubeProgrammer. I get: "Error: Data read fail". Any address from 0x08000000 up to 0x08020000 work fine.
  • Reading the whole flash space from I2C bootloader and it fails at "Read address 0x08020000 (66.67%) Failed to read memory at address 0x08020000, target write-protected?"

To remove the read/write protections I tried the following:

On CubeProgrammer

• Making sure all the read/write protections are disabled in the option bytes.
  • Tried setting WPRMOD=1 and then WPRMOD=0
  • Tried setting RDPROT=0xBB and then back to RDPROT=0xAA
  • Tried doing a full erase, which fails because some sections are write protected.

Via I2C bootloader

• Sent commands to remove read and write protections, but the result is the same.

Via firmware

• Reading option bytes using HAL_FLASHEx_AdvOBGetConfig. The result is that PCROPSector, PCROPSector and PCROPState are all 0.
  • Tried also to set it to 1 and then back to 0.

This issue seemed to have appeared when I was testing writing and reading from EEPROM, which shouldn't be related.

I'm not sure what else I could try. Any help is appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

Wouldn't the root of the problem be that the part only has 128KB of FLASH?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
NTzov.2
Associate II

That makes sense. The question then is why is the STM32CubeProgrammer trying to erase pages outside the available range on a full chip erase? You can see on the screenshots attached that the part number is recognized correctly.

>>The question then is why is the STM32CubeProgrammer trying to erase pages outside the available range on a full chip erase? 

I don't see any screen-shot of that, but the software has plenty of bugs in it.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
NTzov.2
Associate II

The screenshot attached shows that the part is properly recognized. I didn't attach a screenshot for the failing full chip erase (I just mentioned it in my comments). It could definitely be just a bug on the software, any ideas on how/where to report it?

Thanks a bunch for the help btw!