cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to get a working Blinky

MEwen.1
Associate II

Folks, I have fallen at the first hurdle. I bought a Nucleo-H743Z12, and when it arrived, I checked the jumpers according to the instructions, and plugged it into USB. It lit up its LEDs and performed as expected : The Usr button changed the LED display (3 displays) and the Reset button reset the program. 

Following the Digi-key instructions on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyZS2p1tW-g, and using CubeIDE, I wrote my first blinky, and compiled it without error ...

=====================

12:01:32 **** Incremental Build of configuration Debug for project Nucleo-H743Z-blinky ****

make -j4 all

arm-none-eabi-size  Nucleo-H743Z-blinky.elf

text     data      bss      dec      hex   filename

13328       24     1840    15192     3b58   Nucleo-H743Z-blinky.elf

Finished building: default.size.stdout

12:01:34 Build Finished. 0 errors, 0 warnings. (took 2s.474ms)

=====================

... but when I tried to run it (using Run/Debug as/STM32 Cortex-M C/C++ application), I got an error, saying that the ST-Link needed upgrading. I found the instructions for that and upgraded it - it seemed to go well - and tried to re-compile my sketch (it was still OK) and run it, but I get a dialogue saying ...

=====================

Launching Nucleo-H743-blinky Debug has encountered a problem.

Error in final launch sequence:

Error launching GDB server. Session terminated

Details>>>

=====================

... and when I click Details, it says ...

Error in final launch sequence:

At 13:05 in the video, "When asked, click 'Switch' to open a new perspective" - I never get that - I can't get that far through the procedure.

It seems that it has tried to load a sketch, because the pre-installed one doesn't work any more, so I guess it has been overwritten.

I have tried several times to get it working, and along the way, I have also had errors indicating a DLL problem and USB connection problems, though I am able to read the two files on the card without error (a .TXT file showing "Version: 0221; Build:  Aug 23 2019 16:25:00" and an HTML file which seems also seems intact)

LD4, next to the USB socket, is sometimes red, sometimes green, but I don't know what changes it. Whether it is red or green, I have been able to read the afore-mentioned files, so the USB seems OK.

What's my best course of action?

6 REPLIES 6

This is the classical probem with all modern shiny clicky tools - when they work they're great, when they break it's dead end. You'll have the same later with Cube...

Tried to search here? Can't it be https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000C20cXYSQY/how-to-set-up-debugging-for-neucleo64-board-in-stm32cubeide ?

JW

No, I hadn't seen that. I'll work through it tomorrow, so wish me luck!

And thanks for the encouragement for my future with Cube. 😉

Piranha
Chief II

Unfortunately with this approach one learns almost nothing, only how to "click" a blinky of a size of 15 KB.

For real learning look here: https://www.embeddedrelated.com/showarticle/453.php

I can "encourage" even more - with Cube it's impossible to make non-trivial quality firmware. Not only USB and Ethernet is full of bugs, but a much simpler UART is crippled and... even the trivial GPIO toggle is flawed and ST's HAL team is mentally incapable of understanding that!

Oh, joy! I'm in for some high times!

Thanks Piranha, At this point, I'm not trying to learn anything - I'm just trying to get the damn thing working. No point trying to go racing if the car won't start!

Aha! In the middle of writing to you, I followed the link given by waclawek.jan above, and found the advice to use OpenOCD instead of GDB, and my Blinky works now. So now, I have to start figuring out the SPI and DMA. If I'm not back in a month or two, send a search party.