cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PuTTY Terminal Multiple Cursors

JChan.0
Associate II

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but I thought I'd try in case someone knows where I might find answers.

So I'm using a Nucleo F429ZI to communicate with the PuTTY Serial Terminal on my computer. I'm regularly updating some values on the screen a couple times a second, and I'm also accepting input from the user (via my computer keyboard).

Each time I update values to display in the terminal, i have to send commands to move the cursor to a particular location before updating a displayed value. After all the values are updated, I have to return the cursor to where the user is to input a value. The user is supposed to enter some numerical characters then press enter to update another value displayed on the screen.

Is there a better way to do this? Something like having two cursors, or placing text in a terminal screen without having to move the cursor?

One issue I'm having is that each time I enter keyboard characters, I have to update the cursor position to return to on the screen (after updating all the values in the screen each time). But I'm having trouble keeping track of where the cursor should be when buttons like backspace or arrow keys are pressed on the keyboard.

2 REPLIES 2

Generally, it's easier to maintain control over a terminal's appearance if you turn local echo on the terminal off.

JW

Piranha
Chief II