cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLINK-V3MINI Serial Pinout Question

CProp.2274
Associate

Should be a fairly easy one, but wanted to ask first: the built in T_VCP_RX and T_VCP_TX show the opposite logic input/output to what I'd expect (Rx shows as an output) in table 6 of the user manual UM2502. So would I connect my target Rx pin to the T_VCP_RX on the header? Does the "T_" indicated this is in reference to the target device?

5 REPLIES 5
S.Ma
Principal

I'm using STM32L4R5 which USART can swap RX/RX. Unless (boot) is needed, it's less of a worry. SPI naming rule is much better (MISO/MOSI) to avoid confusion.

I have a board working, here is the extract info for reference:

0690X00000AtSrXQAV.png

Which TX1/RX1 are :

0690X00000AtSs1QAF.png

Which correspond to :

0690X00000AtSs6QAF.png

I guess with these info, the question is answered 😅

>>So would I connect my target Rx pin to the T_VCP_RX on the header? 

Yes, USART1_RX or whatever.

>>Does the "T_" indicated this is in reference to the target device?

Yes

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
CProp.2274
Associate

Thank you both for the info! I just haven't seen Tx and Rx refer to the target before, only to itself.

Edimahler
Associate III

Thank you so much for this thread! Was searching for a long time, where to find the failure... Why is it not just labelled as Tx and Rx instead? This MUST lead to missunderstandings like this. In my opinion it's not great to think too much for the user, so he just can connect Rx to Rx in the end...

Thanks guys, for now it's clear, and I hope all the others out there who are stumbling about this will find this thread as well. Happy coding and best regards.

Piranha
Chief II

> In my opinion it's not great to think too much for the user

This! There is a global unwritten consensus, which has been working great since forever until the marketing "experts" started their "improvements". The port names must explain what it is on this device, not what someone thinks you should connect there.