cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Frustration :(

gerrysweeney
Associate III

I am running CubeIDE on OSX (not sure if t hat makes a difference)
In the pinout & configuration you can see that some of the configured items, for example ETH and USART1 have a little green triangle next to them, indicating what I believe is a conflict.  

If I hover the mouse over the icon, in just the right place, it will show a popup, but, no matter what I do, after a second of being visible, the popup disappears again, so I do not get long enough to read what its telling me, thus cannot figure out what I am being told. 

Is CubeMX really this buggy/ Is there some other view I can look at that will give me information about these conflicts so I may try to resolve them?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, its probably obvious if you know what you are doing.  Eclipse has always been terrible, and so far CubeIDE has not disappointed. 

On a less frustated note, I do have a Nucleo 144/ 429 board running with a blinkey example I managed to write and program to the board, so thats at least progress of sorts. 

Any help or pointers much appreciated, I hope to get to a point where I can be a contributor here instead of a nuisence... 

Gerry

gerrysweeney_0-1705947552503.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

Probably the best approach is to temper your expectations. CubeMX is written in Java, meant ostensibly for Windows, and cobbled together to support OSX and Linux. Even in Windows, where 90+% of its users exist, it has flaws and general performance issues. The OSX and Linux support are just never going to work as well. If the worst issue you have is that tooltips disappear after 1s, consider yourself lucky.

In Windows, if something disappears before I can see it, performing a using print-screen and bringing up the screenshow in ms-paint will let me read what it says. I'm sure OSX has something similar.

The standalone CubeMX may work better, if you want to try that. I prefer that over the CubeMX integrated withiniSTM32CubeIDE.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
TDK
Guru

Probably the best approach is to temper your expectations. CubeMX is written in Java, meant ostensibly for Windows, and cobbled together to support OSX and Linux. Even in Windows, where 90+% of its users exist, it has flaws and general performance issues. The OSX and Linux support are just never going to work as well. If the worst issue you have is that tooltips disappear after 1s, consider yourself lucky.

In Windows, if something disappears before I can see it, performing a using print-screen and bringing up the screenshow in ms-paint will let me read what it says. I'm sure OSX has something similar.

The standalone CubeMX may work better, if you want to try that. I prefer that over the CubeMX integrated withiniSTM32CubeIDE.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
AScha.3
Chief

Hi,

If you talk about the yellow triangle ... 🙂

- this is only a warning, not all modes or pins available, because you already used some of them.

You anyway see details, when you click on the yellow marked thing, here your usart1 :

(mode , also yellow) will show you, whats available, or not (red). Thats all.

+

Yes, we all like some bugs in IDE more or less...

Hi TDK, 

I think "tempering my expectations" is probably a good idea. I have been programming C++ for nearly 30 years, I use VC++ and VSCode daily so am well versed using IDE's/dev environments, and they are two of the very best in the business, so yeah I guess my expectations are not aligned with the realities of a Java/Eclipse IDE which is terrible. I did think that perhaps most people use Windows, so, I will look at switching over to to see if thats any better. 

I can do a screen grab probably, I was hoping there might be a better way but I can certainly do that. 

Its a real shame ST don't put some effort in here and build their IDE around VSCode, which is infinitely better than Eclipse.  

There is a really nice embedded Dev environment called Platform.io but what it wont have is the fancy configuration UI which I have to say, in comparison to Microchip and Arduino, its pretty outstanding, thats a great tool that makes getting your project peripherals up and running.  Credit where credit is due...  I have stuck with the ST provided ID while I try to figure out how to use their microcontrollers, once I am comfortable with the part and ecosystem, I may brave PlatformIO and see how that works. 

You mentioned CubeMX vs CubeIDE... these are different things?  Well that was not obvious... I will try the other one on Windows and see how that works out.

Thanks for your reply once again, appreciate it. 

Gerry

Unfortunately, clicking the icon does not show any addtional information, I guess thats an OSX thing.  I did manage to grab a screen shot as @TDK suggested, so can see the error now. I cannot of course click on the documentation link to get more help.  Unfortunately as a noob to these STM32 devices I really can only guess at what this even means, 

Also, appreciate they are only warnings, thank heavens,,, if they were errors I would not only not know what they mean but the project would not work either lol

gerrysweeney_0-1705950444971.png

Misunderstanding - not ON the icon, just ie in usart1 "mode" click in the selection box "disable" , then you see , whats (still) possible or not.

+

CubeMX is a separate program, to edit the pinout + generate code then. 

In IDE its just integrated, for a better "all in one" feeling. (Just the bugs...destroy the feeling ...)

+

If you like VScode, should be possible to use also: 

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=stmicroelectronics.stm32-vscode-extension

or - not by STM - :

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=bmd.stm32-for-vscode

We have roughly the same background and feelings.

VSCode is very nice, shiny, new and fast. But it is a relative newcomer in the IDE field. It has some amount of Microsoft support so we'll see how long it lasts. There is an offical STM32 plugin for VSCode. I haven't tried it. Probably it works okay but is lacking many of the features of STM32CubeIDE. May want to check it out:

https://community.st.com/t5/other-tools-mcus/vscode-for-stm32-extension-1-0-0-released/td-p/143795

STM32CubeMX is a standalone program. It was strictly a standalone program for several years before being incorporated within STM32CubeIDE a few years ago. The functionality is nearly identical. Maybe standalone will run better, worth a shot if you want:

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32cubemx.html

Hi TDK,
Thanks for the links, believe it or not, VS Code is actually 9 years old! In software terms thats pretty old. I will check out the links and give them a try.  As all the tutorials I can find are broadly based on CubeIDE I expect that will be around for some time to come... 

Thanks for the clarification about what STMCubeMX is, that was confusing for sure, now I understand so can play with that understanding better what I am looking at. 

Appreciate your patience. 
Gerry

Hey AScha.3 

Thank you for the links, I will check them both out. Appreciate the response

Gerry

Hi,

My test on VScode with STM was surprisingly short :  

AScha3_0-1706963057540.png

... no install at all, after 5 minutes "thinking" (progress bar seems very busy...). 

Also other user comments are ... :

AScha3_1-1706963187974.png

AScha3_2-1706963286582.png

AScha3_3-1706963330149.png