cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 blue pill not connecting to Arduino IDE.

Sashvat
Associate II

Hi guys, I have a STM32 blue pill and followed instructions from a youtube video which showed me how to program the Blue pill with the Arduino IDE. After doing something I was able to load code on to it but later I wasn't able to. I am using a MacBook Pro and the Arduino is giving me an error message of this-

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Mac OS X), Board: "Generic STM32F103C series, STM32F103C8 (20k RAM. 64k Flash), Serial, 72Mhz (Normal), Smallest (default)"

Sketch uses 12648 bytes (19%) of program storage space. Maximum is 65536 bytes. Global variables use 2456 bytes (11%) of dynamic memory, leaving 18024 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 20480 bytes. Error probing interface "serial_posix" stm32flash Arduino_STM32_0.9 Cannot handle device "/dev/cu.usbserial-A800GAP3"

Failed to open port: /dev/cu.usbserial-A800GAP3http://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/arduino_stm32

Using Parser : Raw BINARY

the selected serial port does not exist or your board is not connected

This report would have more information with "Show verbose output during compilation" option enabled in File -> Preferences

This is the error message I get every time I hook up my Blue pill to an FTDI tool. What should I do?

16 REPLIES 16
Ozone
Lead

You most probably overwrote the Arduino bootloader, which is required for the Arduino toolchain.

Locate a bootloader (binary, Hex, etc.) for your board, and use a JTAG pod (ST-Link, Segger JLink, etc.) to flash it.

Is this possible with a Mac? and where can I get the boot loader? can you tell me how to do this?

I don't use Arduino, and will not.

Try a search engine. The bluepill pages will tell you about the BL.

Nor do I use a Mac.

Pretty sure Segger's JLink stuff run on Mac.

MikeDB
Lead

Are you trying to program it directly using the USB connector on the PCB ? If so, you'll continually have this problem so the simplest solution is to get a $1 CH340 USB-serial adapter and change to programming over serial. It's not possible to overwrite this part of the bootloader so you'll be safe.

No, I am using a FTDI tool (this one)- 0690X000008BEQ3QAO.jpg

Ok that's similar to the CH340 one and fine. Your other settings are the same as I use for my Blue Pills, apart from I use a PC so can't help you with MAC drivers.

Do you have another Blue Pill you can check it with ? Otherwise I'd look at the drivers and/or the wiring to the Blue Pill.

And I assume you have moved the boot0 connector to the 1 position and just left it there for now ?

I have soldered the 3.3V connection underneath the board

Is there any videos that you could send that tells how to set it up with Arduino IDE? And what drivers is this you're talking about?