cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No build config for F303RE in IAR

freppa
Associate II
Posted on October 17, 2017 at 15:15

I am experiencing some issues running the FOC SDK v4.3.

My HW-setup:

Control board: NUCLEO - STM303 (ST part number)

Power board: X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1 (ST part number)

PMSM motor

IDE: IAR

Currently I am able to compile and download code to the F303RE, however the motor only spins a short period of time, and then stops, requiring a reset with the black reset button in order to make it start running again using the user button (blue) on the F303RE. I am not sure what the problem is, but I notice that there is no build configuration for the F303RE.

Currently I open STM32 PMSM FOC LIB\Web\Project\EWARM\STM32F30x_Workspace.eww and build using STM32303C-EVAL_SINGLEDRIVE as option in the drop-down menu, please see attached pic.

Why is there no build config for F303RE in IAR drop-down menu?

Should I even be able to compile and download to target when the build config is wrong?

My problems could have all types of sources obviously, but I would like to ensure that I am using the correct build config at least.

#f303re #iar-ide
7 REPLIES 7
Posted on October 17, 2017 at 17:00

ST frequently limits example support to EVAL series boards, you might have to port code to DISCO and NUCLEO boards based on your understanding of the tool chain you are using.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on October 19, 2017 at 09:43

As I understood Fredrik’s problem, he is using the nucleo board, but needs to select the eval-version of IAR configuration because this is the IAR config that seems to be 'closest' to the 303RE. (At least this was my thaughts when using the same HW configuration (NUCLEO - STM303RE + X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1)).

So with that in mind - is it still meaningful advise porting to nucleo? Isn't it exactly this port Fredrik is asking about?

Posted on October 19, 2017 at 14:55

Yes, you have understood my problem exactly. Indeed the STM32303C-EVAL is based on STM32F303VCT6 and so it is close enough to be flashed to the NUCLEO - F303RE target using project in IAR ported to STM32303C-EVAL.

I was hoping that there was a ready-to-run port for the NUCLEO - F303RE, but as Clive One points out this does not seem to be the case. So it seems I will have to port the code for STM3232303C-EVAL over to NUCLEO - F303RE board. 

What did you with the 

HW configuration (NUCLEO - STM303RE + X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1) 

Gunnar?

Did you use ST MC Workbench to generate header files -> modified project -> downloaded and debugged?

Posted on October 20, 2017 at 00:14

First I configured the 

X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1 for FOC control as described in UM1996 DocID028716 page 7,

then, yes, I generated the header files from ST MC Workbench,

and then I selected the 303C project and modified the MCU to 303RE.

(I think this is the essence - it was a lot of trying and testing, so it may be some steps I'm missing)

See appended images for some details.

So by this I've got my motor up and running, however - I too get velocity error stops occationally at medium RPM (running sensorless). I have not got the opportunity to do so much testing yet, but I would very much like to learn from others experiences from this configuration 🙂

0690X00000608itQAA.png0690X00000608iyQAA.png
Posted on October 20, 2017 at 09:07

Ok, thank you Gunnar for very helpful answers.  

I will continue work, and keep you posted on my progress (or lack thereof) and findings.

Posted on January 17, 2018 at 09:11

I forgot to update this forum. The error was actualy in HW, I had switched the not connected the phases of the motor properly.

Nonetheless, a port to from 303C project to F303RE as MCU should be done in IDE, such as IAR Embedded Workbench as you also suggested. 

The motor is now up an running with sensor-less and encoder.

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

The question has been moved from the "Motor Control Hardware" section to the "STM32 Motor Control" section (the question is about the STM32 MC SDK). 

Best regards