cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TF-A Exception on boot-up

user_ABCD
Associate II

I have a custom board built upon the stm32mp157f. (Therefore, have custom device trees.)

I currently am seeing an exception in TF-A that I cannot explain.

INFO:    Reset reason (0x14):
INFO:      Pad Reset from NRST
INFO:    PMIC version = 0x21
INFO:    FCONF: Reading TB_FW firmware configuration file from: 0x2ffe3000
INFO:    FCONF: Reading firmware configuration information for: stm32mp_io
INFO:    Using EMMC
INFO:      Instance 2
INFO:    Boot used partition fsbl1
NOTICE:  BL2: v2.4-r1.0(debug):v2.4-dirty
NOTICE:  BL2: Built : 16:43:51, Nov 17 2020
INFO:    BL2: Doing platform setup
INFO:    RAM: DDR3-DDR3L 16bits 533000Khz
WARNING: Couldn't find property st,phy-cal in dtb
INFO:    Memory size = 0x20000000 (512 MB)
ASSERT: drivers/partition/gpt.c:24

After the initial flashing of the eMMC with the STMCubeProgrammer, it boots fine the first time. Every boot thereafter (cold or warm), I get the above exception.

Any idea what this means, how to debug or solve it?

15 REPLIES 15

@user_ABCD​,

Thanks for your quick answer. Can you give me the output of the following command:

"blkid -p /dev/mmcblk0p2" (that should be your rootfs) ?

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

@Erwan SZYMANSKI​ 

From the command -> blkid -p /dev/mmcblk0p2

It appears a "good image" has PART_ENTRY_NAME="rootfs", but my "bad image" is missing this.

Any guidance on where or how this is created?

@user_ABCD​,

After a discussion with the dev team, there is no obvious reason why only the partition name is removed. So it is possible that another component modify the GPT table.

To complete our researches, can you provide me the complete Linux log at the first boot, and the kernel command line.

Moreover, can you check the eMMC content at U-Boot first boot ?

Regards.

Erwan.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

@user_ABCD​,

We maybe found an hypothesis that can explain why the eMMC is corrupted (a problem that we had in the past). Can you check your U-Boot env ?

If it is not defined in the GPT table, U-boot will use its own config (probably Kconfig) to find a place to save its configuration and he can corrupt the eMMC at this moment.

Regards.

Erwan.

@Erwan SZYMANSKI​ 

Greatly appreciate the help.

I was able to track this down yesterday to some software I was using that corrupted the GPT table as you mentioned.

Thanks!

@user_ABCD​,

Thank you for your feedback. Glad to see that you was able to solve your problem !

Have a nice day.

Erwan