cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM Cube Programmer Server Connection error

tom_gfriend
Associate II

When I open the Cube Programmer (2.14) I'm greeted by a Connection error message:
The server connection is not established.
The network connection is required to download updates.
Please check your proxy settings.

I'm not behind a proxy and tried various proxy settings, reinstalled Cube Programmer and older versions, disabled my firewall and yet can't connect to the server. This seems to prevent me from flashing my STM32G431CB as the Cube programmer needs to download something for that. When I try to program a STM32F446ZE everything is fine. The error message while flashing is:
stm32 Error: failed to download Segment[0]
Error: failed to download the File

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I tested it on another board and the programming worked fine. I guess it was just a hardware issue. I can't trace it back on the other board though as all pins are properly connected.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

By "download" here it means reading from the MCU. Internet connection is not relevant here and not the reason of the failure to read the flash of STM32G4. Custom board => check everything.

Hey Pavel,

Do you know why the read operation might fail? I can connect to the MCU just fine and erasing the flash works too. Initially I didn't have a NRST pin connected but even after connecting it, it still fails. I tried it with an official STLinkV2, an STLink embedded into a Nucleo and a STLinkV2 clone. I'm connecting via SWD with SWDIO, SWCLK, 3V3, GND and optionally SWO connected.

That's probably not enough information to troubleshoot, so is there any way to get a more detailed log of the flash operation?

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Can you paste the whole log from the  Cube Programmer, please? 

I tested it on another board and the programming worked fine. I guess it was just a hardware issue. I can't trace it back on the other board though as all pins are properly connected.

hsienching
Associate II

I also encountered this problem today. The problem is still unsolved.

In the beginning, I used STM32 Cube Programmer 2.12.0, and tried different proxy settings (both "No Proxy" and "Use System Proxy Parameters"). It didn't work. The server connection was still not established.

Later, I upgraded and used STM32 Cube Programmer 2.14.0, and tried different proxy settings (both "No Proxy" and "Use System Proxy Parameters"). It didn't work. The server connection was still not established.

Operation system:
Use VMware
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS" provided by osboxes.org
I've checked my network connection. The web browser can normally connected to the internet.

Brian H
Senior

The problem is definitely not solved.  At issue here is the title versus body of this forum thread.  The body describes two separate, unrelated problems: the "server connection is not established" error and the device programming error.  The OP's programming problem was solved and turned out to be a board issue.  The server connection problem is unrelated and must be an intermittent issue, as I've just run into it today for the first time in my experience with CubeProgrammer.

I've started a new thread specific to the server connection error.