cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link/V3 MINIE not connecting to H723 via CubeProgrammer

Luczia
Associate II

Hi,

I had been using ST/Link 2.1 nucleo header so far to program and debug custom STM32 H723 ZG boards and wanted to switch to ST/Link v3 in order to debug with compact probes. Thus I ordered two genuine ST-Link/V3 MINIE from Mouser.

My custom board and debug connector is confirmed to be working since I can connect and program with STLink V2 and V2.1 .

I've tried to connect through CN2 B2B connector as well a CN4 STDC14 Connector but I can not connect to the target via either method on both MINIE board I purchased.

I've updated firmware to V3J10M3, tried versions with and without Mass Storage. I've tried all Modes and Reset Modes.

Still I can not get target informations. Interestingly, CubeProgrammer states that the (target ?) voltage is 0.24V.

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bjUPOQA2.pngWondering if there is an issue with my custom STD14 to JST-SH6 cable, i've tried to use a V3-SET with the very same cable and I can successfully connect to the MCU. Displayed voltage is 0.0V which is surprising because I get 3.25V with ST-Link V2.

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bjUQHQA2.pngMy custom debug connector was designed for ST-Links V2s and only have a 5V input pad instead of 3.3v. So I can't power the board from the ST/Link. But since I power my board from an external USB, that shouldn't be an issue with the ST/Link V3 MINIE. Unless I am missing something.

Could there be a GND reference sharing problem ? The USB GND and Debug Connector GND are shared in my board routing. And anyway, I'd expect that the GND is shared though the computer USB hub as well.

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bjUQgQAM.png 

Any idea why the genuine ST-Link/V3-MINIE are not working ??

Do you know what is and how is calculated the (target) voltage displayed by openocd when connecting to a St-Link ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A lot of the fake ST-LINK/V2's didn't have buffers, and the NUCLEO ones generally don't either.

Authentic ST-LINK/V2 pods need VTarget on Pin 1 (or 2), ARM was pretty specific but everyone screwed it up or implemented it differently.

Segger and ST have a ~5V supply on one of the pins (Pin 19) Usually something current limited with a small resistor for the USB supply.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

The VTarget on ST-LINK's is typically for powering the ST-LINK side buffers, it's not a way to power your board.

Put 3.0 or 3.3V on the Pin 1 side, confirm it measures THAT

Luczia
Associate II

Well, indeed if I provide 3.3V on Pin 1 (T_Vcc) of the MINIE, it reads 3.3V on voltage and can connect to target, but if I leave the pin floating it doesn't work. 👍

So it means that the I/O shifters referenced on T_Vcc of the V3 MINIE absolutely need to be connected to 3.3V source while the V3-SET's can accommodate a floating T_Vcc pin ? How come ?

Ok, it partially explain where the (target) voltage information comes from on ST-Link V3 : basically an ADC reading the voltage of T_Vcc pin. But then how come the old ST-Link V2 were able to read 3.3v while this pin was not existing or wired ?

Also, do you thing I could bypass the Diode D101 from my boards, thus the I/O shifter will be inputing 5v (4.7V to be exact) from T_Vcc pin(1) and I can use my cable/programming connector as-is instead of adding a flying 3.3v reference wire just for ST-Link/V3 MINIE to work ? Usually ST32 hardware are 5V tolerant and I would expect the level shifter to be also tolerant, right ?

A lot of the fake ST-LINK/V2's didn't have buffers, and the NUCLEO ones generally don't either.

Authentic ST-LINK/V2 pods need VTarget on Pin 1 (or 2), ARM was pretty specific but everyone screwed it up or implemented it differently.

Segger and ST have a ~5V supply on one of the pins (Pin 19) Usually something current limited with a small resistor for the USB supply.

>>V3 MINIE needs, V3-SET's can accommodate a floating T_Vcc pin ? How come ?

I don't design these things, but I'm sure it's mentioned in the documentation, even if cursorily.

I don't think I'd use the 5V, you have a diode, find a 3.3V on the V3 MINIE