cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeProgrammer Software update does not work

waclawekjan_0-1690189650807.png

opens this window:

waclawekjan_1-1690189698781.png

whereas according to ST's website, current version is newer, 2.14.0:

waclawekjan_2-1690189809459.png

Can you please comment on this.

Thanks,

JW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sara BEN HADJ YAHYA
ST Employee

Hello @waclawek.jan 

This is actually a normal behavior that occurs when connection parameters are not set. To solve this issue, please follow the steps below:

  1. Open Connection parameters by clicking on Proxy settings (located above Software updates).
  2. Select the Proxy server type.
  3. Click on Check connection and wait until the connection is verified.

After setting the connection parameters, "Software updates" will then detect the latest updates.

Please let me know if you encounter any issues.

Sara.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
JMrow.1
Associate

Hi Jan:

 I saw similar behavior with STM32CubeProgrammer_CLI  (case 00184251 written) with respect to the -help switch response echoing 2.12.0 instead of 2.14.0

regards

Jim Mrowca

Has this functionality EVER worked? Been multiple complaints about this for over a year and multiple releases.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

I don't know. I don't use CubeProgrammer. I just thought today that I may give it a chance again (I tend to give it a chance once a year roughly, but somehow still can't grow to like it).

JW


Has this functionality EVER worked?

Nope, it hasn't. As we know, HAL/Cube development process ir absurdly slow because of "rigorous" testing. Apparently the update functionality, which actually does the update, is such a "rare" scenario that it just didn't occur to the testers.

Okay, thanks. Taking note.

JW

Sara BEN HADJ YAHYA
ST Employee

Hello @waclawek.jan 

This is actually a normal behavior that occurs when connection parameters are not set. To solve this issue, please follow the steps below:

  1. Open Connection parameters by clicking on Proxy settings (located above Software updates).
  2. Select the Proxy server type.
  3. Click on Check connection and wait until the connection is verified.

After setting the connection parameters, "Software updates" will then detect the latest updates.

Please let me know if you encounter any issues.

Sara.

Hi @Sara BEN HADJ YAHYA ,

Thanks, that indeed worked.

As two other experienced STM32 users ( @Tesla DeLorean@Piranha ) both confirmed that updates don't work - and I believe in both cases it was the proxy being set by default - you may perhaps consider a redesign of the download menu to include the proxy setting. It doesn't have any other purpose anyway (unless the integrated spying feature uses it too, but that ought to be removed anyway).

But, to be honest, I recommend a complete redesign of the CubeProgrammer's UI, as it's "modern" (i'd rather call it childish, immature) design with randomly scattered and marked controls, instead of industry standard menus, are very confusing, hard to use, and require unnecessary learning.

And NOBODY needs facebook, twitter, youtube, and [that fourth strange shape] connectivity from a *programming tool*, so just delete those.

JW

 

bb1
Associate III

Well this is broken. I require no proxy and my system proxy settings are set to none.

  • Use System Proxy Parameters (default option) - checking the connection succeeds but updates don't work
  • Manual with an unreachable IP address as the proxy - checking the connection still succeeds and updates don't work
  • Manual with an unreachable IP address as the proxy and all networks disconnected - checking the connection finally fails (the first time I tried this case the check succeeded but it was because Wi-Fi turned on after I pulled the network cable)
  • No proxy - checking the connection succeeds and updates work

As 99% of the users doesn't use any proxy servers, the default "Use System Proxy Parameters" should just work, but it doesn't - therefore it is broken. And the "Check Connection" button seems to do nothing at all, except for changing it's icon.

The fact that the developers didn't even tested whether the update works without a proxy server outside of the ST's internal network, shows how pathetically careless the whole development process is. And it also means that nobody of them are actually using that software at home, which shows the background of those people - they are not genuinely interested in these technologies.