cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which class i have to choose in cubeMX configuration to communicate with FTDI USB, i didn't find Vendor Specific Class in the options ?

IChak.1
Associate II

Insted of using the computer as the Host, i want to work with an STM32 microcontroller usb host. The device uses a standard FTDI USB to serial converter as the main mechanism to communicate between the computer and controller. Instead of using the computer, I want to use STM32F4 as a host to communicate with the device.

STM32 -> USB -> FTDI -> Machine controller

Which class i have to choose in cubeMX configuration i didn't find Vendor Specific Class in the options ?

(those are the options USB_Host Class for FS IP : HID/MSC/VPC(cdc)/Host support all classes )

Is this gitproject usefull?

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.h

2 REPLIES 2
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

May I ask you why you want to transfer the data via USB and then convert from USB to serial, maybe RS-232?

Wouldn't it be a bit easier to output the data without USB and FTDI directly via U(S)ART?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
shorai
Associate III

Hi Peter,

I have a similar problem.

I wan to be able to use my STM32F746 and 769 Discovery as portable terminals to configure and test my STM32WB55 and LoRaWAN B072... Sigfox devices. (and others)

I am using the above two devices from the USB to make testing easier whilst I develop PCB.

I do NOT want to use UART devices I MUST use the USB CDC

a) I want to use the other UART devices fro instruments I am testing

b) I want my portable environment consistent with laptop and desktop debug environment

c) I want to be able to use the F749 device on other USB projects

d) any number of other reasons.

When I plug the devices in, they enumerate as class FF rather than 02 .... so how do I make a driver?

The same thing happens when I use CP2102 and FTDI chips.

Please can someone point me to resources that will help me configure device descriptors and code