cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting Fix: STM32CubeMX series 6 version (including version 6.1.0) deletes all folder present inside the main folder thus deleting user created folders like Repository

Rajeev Arora
Senior

Hello @Khouloud ZEMMELI​ ,

I install STM32CubeMX to folder C:\STM32CubeMX and then set REPOSITORY FOLDER TO C:\STM32CubeMX\Repository as I want to keep the STM32CubeMX and its dependencies at one place.

I have reported earlier this issue either on the STM32CubeH7 (GitHub page) or maybe on ST forums, but never got to know of a fix for the issue:

STM32CubeMX installation resulting in deleting all sub folders including Repository when it starts the uninstallation process for old version.

Steps for reproducing this issue:

STM32CubeMX version 6.0.1 installed at location C:\STM32CubeMX

Open the STM32CubeMX. Press ALT+S and change Repository Folder to C:\STM32CubeMX\Repository and click OK

Press ALT+U and under description STM32H7 select checkbox for STM32Cube MCU Package for STM32H7 Series (Size: 1079 MB) (with available version 1.8.0) and click on Install Now button. Once the installation is complete follow next steps.

Press ALT+C. Press Refresh button on the popped up Check update Manager Popup and install STM32CubeMX version 6.1.0.

Now close the currently open STM32CubeMX version.

Now Go to the folder C:\STM32CubeMX. Ensure Repository folder exists (i.e. C:\STM32CubeMX\Repository exists). Keep the C:\STM32CubeMX folder open for monitoring.

Open STM32CubeMX tool with Administrative privileges, and continue reviewing the content of the informed folder while the old STM32CubeMX version is being uninstalled. As soon as the uninstallation is over one observes the folder content similar to what is available with the attached image. The Subfolder Repository has been deleted.

Please fix the issue.

Thanks,

Rajeev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @Herve PIERROT​ ,

The only concern with using the C:\users\### is that:

1. In case of two or more users there will be either multiple copies of repository folder (i.e. one for each user), which will be probably created within their user name folder.
  2. One may forget to copy the repository folder when copying important folders from one Laptop to Another and thus having to download all of them again from Internet. I am looking at avoid internet usage as well, and coming up with a folder that can be copied to various Laptops that my team is using.

From your inputs I do understand that I can come up with folders like:

1. c:\STM32CubeMX\Software to sore the primary executables and dependencies
  2. c:\STM32CubeMX\Repository to store the Packages.

Thanks,

Rajeev

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Khouloud ZEMMELI
ST Employee

Hi @Rajeev Arora​ 

Thanks for your feedback, this will be internally checked, I'll give you soon an update.

Best Regards,

Khouloud

Herve PIERROT
ST Employee

Hi @Rajeev Arora​ ,

In your setup, wouldn't it make sense to change the install folder of STM32CubeMX into c:\STM32CubeMX\STM32CubeMX-v#.#.# ?

In that case, you will have everything into c:\STM32CubeMX, you will even be able to keep different version STM32CubeMX if you need, and you will not have issues when you will remove one version after that.

Anyway, as a general matter, I would not recommend to add personal content in an installation folder of an application, that's why usually application are going to c:\ProgramFiles folder, and personal data to c:\users\### folders.

Hello @Herve PIERROT​ ,

The only concern with using the C:\users\### is that:

1. In case of two or more users there will be either multiple copies of repository folder (i.e. one for each user), which will be probably created within their user name folder.
  2. One may forget to copy the repository folder when copying important folders from one Laptop to Another and thus having to download all of them again from Internet. I am looking at avoid internet usage as well, and coming up with a folder that can be copied to various Laptops that my team is using.

From your inputs I do understand that I can come up with folders like:

1. c:\STM32CubeMX\Software to sore the primary executables and dependencies
  2. c:\STM32CubeMX\Repository to store the Packages.

Thanks,

Rajeev

Herve PIERROT
ST Employee

yes, that should work with a \Software\ folder