cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good starting point for VCP module (FT232 replacement)

MMMartin
Associate II

I just ordered a PCBA with FT232RL as USB-VCP bridge and found that these things are bulky, expensive and out of stock mostly.

So why not design a USB-serial (eg. 3.3 V 9600 bd) bridge using any STM32?

I am aware that CubeMX supports USB/VCP so this is a starting point already. However, to save time and effort, are there any existing projects that implement a VCP - serial bridge already? Ideally with baud rate selectable on the host (Windows 10)? Even better with working CubeMX integration (unlike most existing STM32 example programs) and CubeIDE project?

No preference on family, any F1 or F0 would probably do. Maybe one with Nucleo32 (64) support.

Thanks - Martin

5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

While FTDI devices may be hard to get, the same holds for STM32 devices. Nucleo baords already have a VCP module, perhaps you can reuse them. Otherwise there are a lot of VCP projects around.

Hello @Community member​ ,

We provide some USB CDC examples under our F0/F1 Firmware Package.

You can find examples under the following paths :

• Projects\STM32072B_EVAL\Applications\USB_Device\CDC_Standalone

• Projects\STM3210C_EVAL\Applications\USB_Device\CDC_Standalone

• Projects\STM3210E_EVAL\Applications\USB_Device\CDC_Standalone

I hope this helps.

BeST Regards,

Walid

Any pointers to useful VCP projects? I searched a while and could not find any (except for simple VCP tutorials and code fragments).

MMMartin
Associate II

Hello @Walid ZRELLI​ ,

is there any ST example code with valid CubeMX tags? It would be nice if the examples would work with CubeMX! Just checked a L1 CDC_Standalone code.

Regards, Martin

Hello @Community member​ ,

Unfortunately, there is no example for F0/F1 developed with CubeMX but you can find some example used CubeMX on the G0/G4 firmware packages.

Otherwise, the following training might help you.