cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unit tests in STM32CubeIDE

MMich.2
Associate II

Currently I'm developing within the STM32CubeIDE for an STM32F373CC.

I use the main.c as entry point into a wrapper and program all of the rest in C++.

I generally try to keep any HAL code outside of simple classes that can be unit tested easily. Ideally my tests would still compile when data types and some definitions are used from the HW-related codes but I don't really need actual HW-code running within a test. I just want to test algorithms and basic classes. Any comments regarding the HAL or any other HW-related code would still be appreciated.

When adding a class to my project the IDE suggests adding a unit test:

0693W000004I6ydQAC.png 

So how exactly is this supported? The Foo_test.cpp is simply added to my project but I'm not sure how to proceed. Do I have to integrate a unit testing framework on my own? Is there a framework somehow included in the STM32CubeIDE? Is there support for test execution and visualization?

Any resources and guides are appreciated! If non of this is supported, I'd still like to know why the UI shows this nice "Unit Test" checkbox for me ; - )

A similar question was asked here but hopefully I at least get an answer to why there is a checkbox present in the UI.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mattias norlander
ST Employee

Hi MMich.2,

As @TDK​ said, there is no official unit test tool support in STM32CubeIDE. Nothing we have played much with, we leave this for the community to explore.

So in terms of recommended UT frameworks, there is a whole bunch of them, depends on your requirements. I think you will need to evaluate. Maybe someone has written a guide for unit testing on embedded devices and special considerations imposed by running on remote targets.

You could create specific project.

But the Eclipse way would probably be to rely on build configurations instead. This would allow you to have one build config to build your full production binary (typically called Release), one for debug purposes (typically called Debug). These two are default generated in a CubeIDE project. Create one or several extra build configs called UT_ComponentX, UT_ComponentY...

These build configs can use different include paths, defined symbols and even include/exclude extra folders with source code to be built. excluding/including different folders is useful to call an alternative main() function and our test runners...

The concept of build configuration is described in the User Guide which was recently released. Try this link. By no means 100% coverage of all use cases for build configs, but if you are new to Eclipse it could maybe be useful.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
TDK
Guru

> hopefully I at least get an answer to why there is a checkbox present in the UI.

STM32CubeIDE is built using Eclipse. The "Unit Test" checkbox, among many other things, is just inherited from that framework.

I don't think any unit testing framework is supported directly by STM32CubeIDE, although you could certainly implement your own with a bit of work. Depends what you need to test. Raw code is easy, code that interfaces with registers and hardware not so much.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Thanks, very interesting!

• Do you have any suggestions on where to start to integrate let's say google test or any other light weight unit test library?
  • Would I create a dedicated project for this and reference the actual classes and code from my real project somehow? This is not so nice, I think since this project would have to reference code "outside" of its project directory, not sure.
  • Or should I add my *_test.cpp files simply to my project in a dedicated sub-folder? If so, how would I compile and execute those tests? I guess that I need a dedicated main.c that sets up the testing framework and actually runs the tests.

Sorry for those basic questions. I'm not used to Eclipse at all and looking for "best practices" to structure all of this. In my make-based projects I simply have a dedicated main that sets up google test. I have full control over the files that are compiled into the test project. In my Qt project I use QtCreator as IDE and I have a dedicated unit test project "within" my project so this is built separately and simply references all of the production code. I guess that this is more like the situation with the CubeIDE.

mattias norlander
ST Employee

Hi MMich.2,

As @TDK​ said, there is no official unit test tool support in STM32CubeIDE. Nothing we have played much with, we leave this for the community to explore.

So in terms of recommended UT frameworks, there is a whole bunch of them, depends on your requirements. I think you will need to evaluate. Maybe someone has written a guide for unit testing on embedded devices and special considerations imposed by running on remote targets.

You could create specific project.

But the Eclipse way would probably be to rely on build configurations instead. This would allow you to have one build config to build your full production binary (typically called Release), one for debug purposes (typically called Debug). These two are default generated in a CubeIDE project. Create one or several extra build configs called UT_ComponentX, UT_ComponentY...

These build configs can use different include paths, defined symbols and even include/exclude extra folders with source code to be built. excluding/including different folders is useful to call an alternative main() function and our test runners...

The concept of build configuration is described in the User Guide which was recently released. Try this link. By no means 100% coverage of all use cases for build configs, but if you are new to Eclipse it could maybe be useful.

Thanks for the clarification and for describing the "Eclipse way" and for the link! Build configurations make a lot of sense!

Michael K
Senior III

I remember stumbling on this thread a year ago, and since then I've been working on a process that allows you to run GoogleTest unit tests against common, loosely-coupled code directly in CubeIDE.

Basically, you need to have to a local C/C++ compiler with POSIX support (e.g MSYS2 or Cygwin on Windows)​ already set up. Then in the same workspace as your STM32 project, create a local C/C++ "test template" project. Back in the STM32 project, create a new build configuration for the unit tests. There will be an option to copy settings from another project - select the debug config from the test template function. Then create directories for the GoogleTest source code, your unit tests, and your common application code, and import them into CubeIDE. Set up the include paths and source filters to compile the gtest_all and gmock_all files, and your unit test and common files. Create a test main, and run the configuration - the files and tests will compile and run on your native machine.

I created a step by step guide to setting up unit tests in STM32CubeIDE that describes the steps above in more detail.

Nikita91
Lead II

Thanks a lot.

It would be worth creating an entry for this in the project area. This would allow everyone to know and be able to benefit from it.

Well if I understood correctly, M.K. does not run unit tests on the target. Rather, tests are built for the host PC, with a different compiler, possibly with different C++ flavor etc.

What he offers is factoring out common code and using Eclipse as common IDE for both projects + google test viewer add-on.

Agreed, and there is also an inherent danger from creating any type of test framework that excludes the target. These tests, which may run perfectly on non-target code and in a different compiler, can give a false sense of security. In the worst case encourage the release of completely untested target code. All testing, to have any chance of being effective, should be designed and run exclusively on target.

You make a good point about potential differences between targets and compilers causing issues. In his book Test-Driven Development for Embedded C, James Grenning gives an example where the strstr() library function handled empty strings differently between the native and target compiler.
However, I think your approach of not testing anything off-target is too strict to be practical. In my article I list speed as an advantage of off-target testing - native compilation is faster than cross compilation and there is no flash/verify time required to run the program. If you had to wait 3-5+ minutes every time you wanted to run your test, you would probably run it much less frequently.
Although differences in compilers can affect test results, I reckon they are less common than errors of logic or inadvertent regression from changes to other parts of code. Off-target testing absolutely can help reduce these errors.
A more rigorous approach (concerning unit tests specifically) would involve both on and off-target testing. Off-target testing would allow for faster development and on-target testing would cover issues caused by compiler differences. Because of the relative rarity of compiler differences, on-target tests would not need to be run as frequently, and the long test cycle time would not matter as much.
Regarding my article - I used GoogleTest and I'm not sure if it supports ARM processors. I'll definitely investigate and consider updating my article to reflect your concerns about the importance of on-target testing.