cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE V1.15 ST-Link upgrade problem

PGump.1
Senior

Hi all,

I have a STM32C011 project. I am using a STMF0-Discovery as a ST-Link, as I have done many times before.

I have upgraded STM32CubeIDE to V1.15. It is asking me to upgrade the firmware in the ST-Link. Going through the upgrade process, it fails stating "Unexpected flash size for ST-Link micro. Don't know how to upgrade".

If I select No to the upgrade request, CubeIDE stops there...

I used STM32CubeProgrammer to upgrade the firmware in the ST-LInk, and STM32CubeProgrammer is happy to work with it.

But STM32CubeIDE V1.15 won't work with it!

How do I get it to work?

Thanking you
Pedro

AI = Artificial Intelligence, NI = No Intelligence, RI = Real Intelligence.
15 REPLIES 15
PHolt.1
Senior III

Remember Cube IDE 1.15 also changes the GCC tools from whatever previous version to v12. That is known to produce that executable segment warning, but it could also make some code not run. I found that it produced 1k less binary code (on ~450k) so looks like the optimisation is better and that could break hardware timing. I am using -Og.

As I wrote elsewhere, there is no point in upgrading this stuff because you are just creating work for yourself and this will never end. Disable checking for updates in Cube.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

I found that it produced 1k less binary code (on ~450k) so looks like the optimisation is better

More likely, this is because of changes in the newlib library (scary!)

@PGump.1 Use a Windows machine to update the st-link (sorry but on Windows most of things just work).

@Pavel A.Interesting statement. Are you suggesting that ST shouldn't produce a Linux version?

No, just a pragmatic advice how to get rid of this annoyance ASAP. Let ST fix their bugs as fast or as slow as they can; we have our own work to do and maintain work/life balance.

PGump.1
Senior

@Pavel A.I think you'll find that this is not a Windows vs Linux issue. This issue is - someone at ST has, intentionally or unintentionally, removed the support for the debugger that I'm using...

Kind regards
Pedro