cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE offline installation: Firmware Package problem

stameni
Associate

I downloaded and installed the latest STM32Cube IDE. However, I can't compile even the simplest program, because during the creating of a project I get warning stating that I must download and install the Firmware Package.

The system is a Windows 11 virtual machine without Internet access, so I suppose I should download Firmware Package on other computer and then copy to the VM. However, I cannot locate that Firmware Package.

The problem is very similar to this one:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubeide-mcus/how-to-install-stm32cubeide-without-internet/td-p/116152

However that solution didn't work for me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It's been a slight mess with the firmware and patch versions. I shall explain how I got the system running 😉

My target MCU is STM32F103C8T6. I downloaded the en.stm32cubef1.zip navigating from this link .

After that, I extracted this file to the following path: c:\Users\YOUR-USERNAME\STM32Cube\Repository . (If there wasn't that folder, you should make it manually.)

Now I ran the STM32CubeIDE; then: File / New / STM32 Project. I chose STM32F103C8T6 in the next dialog box, and typed in some project name.

Now part that is important: do NOT click Finish, instead click Next.

Under Firmware Package Name and Version I chose V1.8.0, then clicked Finish.

Now you can use Press / Generate Code. Code will be generated.

When you click Build, you get the code compiled without errors and warnings 🙂

This solution probably isn't a universal solution, that should work in every case. However, it seems to be working 🙂

Thank you all for the help. I do have some other troubles, but I think the current thread is completed 🙂

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Which STM32? How have you tried to locate the firmware package? Can you login from another machine and download the package?

Mahmoud Ben Romdhane
ST Employee

Hello @stameni ,

First let me thank you for posting and welcome to the ST Community.

You can work with STM32CubeIDE without being connected to the Internet by following these instructions:
• Manually download the needed STM32Cube firmware packages from the STMicroelectronics website
• Inside STM32CubeIDE, use the following menus:
1. [Help]>[Manage embedded software packages]
2. [STM32Cube MCU Packages]>[From local...]
• Point to the manually downloaded zip file, then accept the license and install it

Thanks.

Mahmoud

Hi @Mahmoud Ben Romdhane,

I found and downloaded firmware package en.stm32cubef0.zip, and installed it using the steps you provided me.

The package is succcessfully (I hope!) installed to the following path:

c:\Users\*****\STM32Cube\Repository\STM32Cube_FW_F0_V1.11.0\

However, it still doesn't work properly.

I have tried some of the STM32F0 microcontrollers, and the problem is still the same as it was before installing firmware package.

@Pavel A.: I also tried some other STM32 MCUs, without success.

This is what I always get:

BarryWhit
Senior III

There's a version mismatch for the MCU package. Either go into the CubeMX properties pane and set the version to 1.11.0 (the default is to use the latest released version), or download the 1.11.5 patch zip from the website.

You can't install patch releases offline using the built in package manager, since they only contain changes relative to the base version. To install patches versions offline, you simply unpack their content to overwrite files in the previously base version directory, 1.11.0 in this case.

- If someone's post helped resolve your issue, please thank them by clicking "Accept as Solution".
- Once you've solved your issue, please post an update with any further details.
stameni
Associate

"Either go into the CubeMX properties pane and set the version to 1.11.0 (the default is to use the latest released version)..."

Can you please specify where the CubeMX properties pane is? I am new to this IDE, and I cannot locate it. And I think that might solve my problems.

Actually, it's called the "Project Manager":

ProjectManager.jpg

- If someone's post helped resolve your issue, please thank them by clicking "Accept as Solution".
- Once you've solved your issue, please post an update with any further details.
stameni
Associate

Since I am a newbie, I downloaded all mainstream MCU firmwares, and installed them using Help / Manage Embedded Software Packages. Now some MCUs function, some don't.

The trouble with the Project Manager is that it appears on the screen after selecting the appropriate MCU (which sometimes doesn't work).

I didn't patch anything, and I'm almost about to quit STM32 :( It is well-designed, but these simple beginner's problems are so annoying...

You now know how to manually install firmware packages, how to manually install the latest patch, and how to manually choose the firmware version.

If all of that's not enough, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you should stick to arudinos.