cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE is consuming too much space in C drive

MKDas
Associate II

I have been using STM32CubeIDE for the last couple of years. Recently after getting a low space warning in C drive found that  STM32CubeIDE is taking over 32GB of space in C drive. There I found that some libraries are there with previous versions. Also their zip formats. My question is, is there any problem if I remove the older versions there? Or is there any way to clean older files that are not necessary?

0693W00000bhD3iQAE.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Especially the temporary folders TMP*.* can be deleted without hesitation. Typically, these are leftovers from previous and aborted installations.

The ZIPs are in fact only necessary for unpacking, once that is done they are actually superfluous. You could, however, keep them on an old external disk, for example, so that you have quick access to them for a later reversion to an older version.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
KnarfB
Principal III

STM32CubeMX/IDE have a GUI for safely managing those packages (Manage software installations/embedded packages).

hth

KnarfB

CARHERO
Associate III

You may delete the unnecessary Cube_FW and *.zip.

If there is no Cube_FW when creating the CubeIDE Project, it will check the Repository and download the Cube_FW automatically.

IIRC CubeMX/IDE does not track what versions are used in existing projects by reference.

User should know which packages & versions are still in use.

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Especially the temporary folders TMP*.* can be deleted without hesitation. Typically, these are leftovers from previous and aborted installations.

The ZIPs are in fact only necessary for unpacking, once that is done they are actually superfluous. You could, however, keep them on an old external disk, for example, so that you have quick access to them for a later reversion to an older version.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
MKDas
Associate II

As I work with many software and all of them are important. And usually, I uninstall useless or short-time used ones. Anyway, I've removed the RAR files and also the unused libraries that I used for older projects. It did not create any trouble. For testing purposes, I opened one old project and it starts downloading the necessary files. So I think, it will not make any trouble if I remove the unused one. As it downloads automatically all the necessary files so CubeIDE will manage what it needs I think. After removing all those unused libraries, it saved 12GB. Which is enough for now.

deleting unused folders & RAR saved 12GB for now. which is enough for now.