cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open existing projects via command line

Markus Spiekermann
Associate III

Hi Guys,

we have a document management system in our company.

There we store all kinds of project related files like 2D drawings,

3D designs/assemblies, test reports, datasheets etc..

A quite useful feature is to click on whatever document and the

system automatically opens the corresponding application showing

the file.

Now we would like to offer to our software developers the same

functionality. In order to do so it would be beneficial if we could

open existing projects via command line.

Could somebody help us in getting this solved?

Thanks and best regards

Markus Spiekermann

5 REPLIES 5
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Hello Markus!

I'm not 100% sure I understand the use case but if my understanding is correct then perhaps this command should work?

C:\Users\USER\STM32CubeIDE\WORKSPACE\PROJECT_NAME\Core\Src\main.c

As long as you have file association set to STM32CubeIDE this opens the main.c file with STM32CubeIDE 1.7.0 for me.

If I'm misunderstanding anything let me know!

Markus Spiekermann
Associate III

Hi Markus,

thanks for your answer.

Well, if you use just one development environment then a standard file association might work.

In our case our document management system is the first screen that we see if we want to use

whatever project related documents. And these documents are stored somewhere on a servce

and not locallly on our PCs.

So to get this done, it would be great if we could make use of a command line that simply

expects a path to a project. After this call the delveopment environment pops up.

TDK
Guru

You can certainly pass a file path to stm32cubeide to have it open, but I don't see a way to open a specific project.

https://help.eclipse.org/2021-06/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Freference%2Fmisc%2Fruntime-options.html

A search online didn't produce anything useful. Keep in mind STM32CubeIDE is just a customized version of Eclipse.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

> click on whatever document and the

system automatically opens the corresponding application showing the file.

Does this work on Windows, Linux or Mac, or in web interface like sharepoint?

What if different developers prefer different code editors?

If you should have one app for all, better use a lightweight and free editor such as notepad++ on Windows.

Avoid starting Eclipse and other heavy behemots (VS, heaven forbid) or the users will come to you with pitchforks.

Markus Spiekermann
Associate III

We work exclusively with Windows. But this is not crucial.

Out target is as follows:

If our DMS database shows an entry where no project is linked to and somebody tries to open that entry then STM32CubeIDE should open as if you would create

a new project. After project creation it would be great to get somehow the location of that project to add this path to the entry in our database. The next time

somebody opens that entry STM32CubeIDE is called with the path stored in our database.