cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jumping to random file after pressing Run button

GeneralTao
Associate II

Hello. When I press to Run (Run main.c) button, STM32CubeIDE opens random file, possibly, from current repository, for example: startup_stm32l452xx.s, core_cm4.h etc...

Code is loading successful, but this side effect bothers me.

I would like to disable this function. How can I do it?

If you need more information about this behavior please, ask.

Thank you for reading.

95 REPLIES 95
kshoy.1
Associate II

Unfortunately either ST does not read this thread or they ignore it.

I did open a ticket a while ago ( 00173614), but apparently there are too few requests there - after a while ST confirmed the issue and ... closed the ticket, as they "cannot do much about it" and suggested that "The alternative is always to use other, paid IDEs." :). This kind of customer treatment appears a bit strange to me, though. I also cannot accept a closure of an unresolved ticket, but I can't find any contact to escalate this type of customer service.

Maybe if other affected users would raise a ticket, they might react more.

To be fair, ST doesn't make Eclipse, and I suspect this is a problem within Eclipse. They truly may not be able to do anything about it. At that point, we all have the opportunity to download the Eclipse source code and try to fix it ourselves.
PHolt.1
Senior II

That's an atrocious response from ST, to tell you to pay money when their own IDE has such a bug.

It's still there in v12 too. Exists only in Debug mode, AFAICT.

That link is dead BTW. Maybe they deleted it.

Possibly fair and good point... Unfortunately I'm too weak programmer to dare that, but I believe an attempt to debug Eclipse would only make sense, if the behavior is reproducible with clean Eclipse installation. Is it possible to have a relevant test case with Eclipse?

Is it really a problem with Eclipse? Atollic TrueStudio is also based on Eclipse, but I don't remember it having any issue like that. Used ATS long time ago, so it could potentially be a problem with newer versions if Eclipse.

No. Definitely not Eclipse problem. It is STM32 dedicated debug module which is not existed in Eclipse. And NXP Espresso does not have this issue too.

And STM32CubeIDE is not open sourced. How can we fix it? The app should have obfuscating protection. Those said so are just dreaming.

If your company is ST customer, I think we can ask their dealers/FAE for help.

PHolt.1
Senior II

Just tested it with 12.1 which came out today.

In Debug mode I can't immediately reproduce the opening of spurious files.

Well, Cube always opens the startupxxx.s file. Why? No bloody idea but it briefly stops on the first code line.

Then, Cube always opens whichever file contains the main() function. This breakpoint was configurable in versions before about 9 but I have not been able to find it since and it looks like they removed the option.

Other files, right now, I can't make it do it.

NRoth.3
Associate II

Just tested also with 12.1 after your post...

Exactely the same like before. No change

eos1d3
Associate II

The latest version is 1.12.1, not 12.1.

Just test this on MacOS, SAME problem! :pouting_face:

PS: Are all ST employees hiding and pretend the problem does not exist?

PHolt.1
Senior II

Yeah, OK, doing it now here too.

It happens only when I restart the target with

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bjE45QAE.png 

Then it opens a "random" file but the file opened is the code which was running when the target was reset. Which file is opened, is wherever the CPU was when the above button was pressed.

So the file opened is not "totally random" but is not desirable to have it opened; it serves no purpose. It means that if you restart the target say 20 times, you get 20 file openings, and depending on where the CPU spends most of its time, you may get 20 different files, or fewer. If for example CPU spends a lot of time waiting on some mutex, then over 20 restarts you will get mostly tasks.c (the FreeRTOS main file) opened, but you may get other files so if e.g. the mutex is around some SPI code, you will get tasks.c and sometimes spi.c. Eventually you will get loads of different files opened.

This probably explains why some people get it much worse than others.