cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does STM32CubeIDE offer a serial terminal? This functionality was available in the Atollic TrueSTUDIO product.

dale
Associate III

I'm really loving the high level of integration offered in the STM32CubeIDE application.

Does STM32CubeIDE offer a serial terminal? This functionality was available in the Atollic TrueSTUDIO product.

Maybe it's already in there (somewhere?) and I just can't find it...?

I'm using this software to teach a class on the STM32 devices. Having one less external program to install and verify in the lab (i.e., Tera Term) and associated drivers (i.e., CH340G) would makes things a LOT simpler.

Thanks for any insight you can share on this topic.

Dale Wheat

18 REPLIES 18

Hi. Could you help me to?

How i can use action “Build Selected File(s)�?.

I have Atollic TrueSTUDIO Version: 9.3.0.

I bind keys to “Build Selected File(s)�? like this.

Ctrl + Shift + L two times for window Preferences.

In item Keys, i select "Build Selected File(s)", set Binding = Ctrl + Alt + B and When: In Windows , apply.

Maybe does Atollic have any menu with button “Build Selected File(s)�??

UliAuer
Associate II

Hello everybody !

Being very new to the whole STM32 (and CubeIDE) universe I'm learning and discovering a huge amount of things every day.

I'm watching a German YT-tutorial series on C programming and STM32 which lead me to CubeIDE.

And I'm also having the problem with (not) viewing my test programs in a terminal....I've already installed the TM terminal extensions but I don't know how to configure the terminal to see the debugged programm (like simple "Hello World" printing)....which steps do I have to make in order to see that ?

I mean it's not a serial terminal but a local terminal, right ? But choosing Local Terminal (either UTF-8 oder Default ISO) gives me a prompt but still no entry once I run the program....;-(

Any suggestions ?

I have exactly the same problem as Bruno.

YES I did install the both items !

Guillaume K
ST Employee

In recent version of STM32CubeIDE (1.7.0) without installing additional software:

click on Console view. Locate the icon to open a new console (square with a small "+"). click on the down triangle to open New console menu. In the new console menu, select "command shell console".

In "command shell console" , in Connection type select "Serial port". Click on New. Give it a name. Select the serial COM port (the STM32 board must be connected with USB so that the COM port appears). Configure the serial port parameters (they depend from what you configure for serial port in your application).

If you have multiple consoles, to switch between consoles there is an icon (square) near the New console icon.

Note that to have serial output you must configure it in your STM32 application. In particular, on STM32CubeIDE you have to initialise the UART and provide Newlib C library adaptation functions _write() and _read() functions in syscalls.c

@Guillaume K​ thanks for your method, works really well (in my previous attempts with Atollic, built-in terminal would be superslow). Do you know, if there is a way to separate this comand shell console into a separate window, so it can be observed in parallel to build console?

try to click on the console tab, keep it pressed, and drag it where you want to place the window.

But then it moves the Console tab with all the consoles (CDT Global Build Console, CDT Build Console, COM port Console and Device Configuration Tool \ Debug Console). My question was if it is possible to separate just the COM port console and view it in parallel to CDT Build Console

UPD: found it! Solved with clicking the New and selecting New Console View 🙂

Try to create a new console view. In the Open console menu (square with a small "+"), select "New console view".

Then in this new console view you can switch to the command shell console (serial terminal) if you have already created it.

If you haven't already created it, create it in the Open console menu (command shell console / Serial port) in the new view.

Then you can drag and drop the new console view tab to a new location in the IDE.

it works for me! Thanks a lot to all.