cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EEPROM content not loaded when debugging

RobK1
Visitor

Rather than resurrecting this thread, that never got a decent reply anyway, I will start a new one.

I'm working on a design with an STM32L072, where I use the internal EEPROM to store about two dozen parameters. These parameters are all initialised in my code, but when I load the debugger, their values are not loaded and remain all 0's.

As these parameters control the functionality of the device, this is extremely annoying. Doubly so because it is also not possible to edit these values in the debugger (contrary to f.e. STM8L151 / Visual Develop).

STM32CubeIDE
Version: 1.16.1
Build: 22882_20240916_0822 (UTC)
Java vendor: Eclipse Adoptium
Java runtime version: 17.0.11+9
Java version: 17.0.11

3 REPLIES 3

Is the EEPROM data described in your .ELF file? Inspect with OBJDUMP or similar tools, or export as a .HEX and pull into an editor and inspect.

Is it annoying enough that your code can see they are not initailized, and simply write default values, or provide some user interface or monitor to allow direct configuration and setting?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Yes, the EEPROM data is in the .elf. My current workaround is to first program the controller through CubeProgrammer, which does load the EEPROM, then start my debugging.

The current UI is an IR remote, which takes 10~15 seconds per parameter; way too slow to set all of them.

Sounds like that would be hard to troubleshoot in the field. If app determines its on a blank device, it should write a workable set of defaults.

STs tools should be using Cube Programmer to upload out of the gate. @STTwo-32 

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..