cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeMX hides "SMPS enable" too well (STM32U5)

BarryWhit
Senior III

Cube is very enthusiastic about reminding you to enable the SMPS on U5 chips

BarryWhit_0-1722303160893.png

And it's also infuriatingly coy about how one actually does this:

BarryWhit_1-1722303311773.png

Here is just the latest example of an understandably confused costumer.

I would like to see the warning message amended to give more specific instructions on how to do this,

(i.e. "enable low-power/power saving mode and then choose SMPS as the power regulator")

and the PWR pane should be modified to be more self-explanatory, either by reworking the options,

or the help strings, or both.

- If someone's post helped resolve your issue, please thank them by clicking "Accept as Solution".
- Please post an update with details once you've solved your issue. Your experience may help others.
6 REPLIES 6
BarryWhit
Senior III

Also, I believe this is a known bug but if it isn't it should be fixed - Cube should not issue a warning abouse enabling the SMPS for part numbers that don't have an SMPS (obviously).

cc @STTwo-32 .

- If someone's post helped resolve your issue, please thank them by clicking "Accept as Solution".
- Please post an update with details once you've solved your issue. Your experience may help others.
BarryWhit
Senior III

For future victims visitors:

SMPS.jpg

Isn't that just terrible? as the only way to resolve a warning message every customer who starts a cube project for STM32U5 sees? it really is, it's terrible.

STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @BarryWhit 

I'm not able to generate the warning with an STM32U5 that does not contain an SMPS. Could you please add the reference of your MCU.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

BarryWhit
Senior III

I thought I saw this for U575AGI6 on CubeIDE 1.14.1. But now when I try to create a new project with that Part number, I only get an error about PWR missing configuration. When I click on the PWR peripheral I just get a spinning wheel but no actual config pane for PWR shows up. So, I'm not sure what's going on.

I can't reproduce the issue (either the warning or the missing pane) on 1.16.0 though. My apologies.

In fact, a similar big was reported for the version 1.14.0 (cubemx 6.5) and has been solved on the next versions.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

BarryWhit
Senior III

As @Mahmoud Ben Romdhane mentioned in the other thread, I see that even with latest CubeIDE 1.6.0, for U595 parts (in particular STM32U595AIH6) which don't have an integrated SMPS you get the SMPS warning, and I'm also unable to open the PWR peripheral for configuration in the UI.

He also also informed this has been previously reported in

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubemx-mcus/stm32u5-invalid-smps-warning-during-code-generation/m-p/607336

and the third issue of the SMPS being available for selection for LDO-only parts was tracked and fixed via ID166485

The erroneous warning bug is possibly being internally tracked via ticket ID166502?