cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is GMII designed for STM32MP dev kit?

DMårt
Senior II

Hi!

I notice something!

In the devkit of STM32MP15xxxx, I found that ETH_TX_EN is used for GMII, but when I check the CubeMX, I found that RGMII is used instead.

This is the settings for RGMII. In the devkit schematics, it is ETH1_TX_EN, not ETH1_TX_CTL.

RGMII can only be selected as a mode. Skärmbild 2024-05-11 131350.png

Skärmbild 2024-05-11 130641.png

This is the timing diagram for GMII and RGMII. The difference is that GMII has ETH_RX_ER and RGMII does not. And also ETH_TX_CTL is used in RGMII and in ETH_TX_EN is used in GMII.

Skärmbild 2024-05-11 130902.png

Skärmbild 2024-05-11 131231.png

Question:

Can it be that STM32MP15xxxx devkit schematic is using ETH_TX_EN as label for ETH_TX_CTL for RGMII?

Skärmbild 2024-05-11 131603.png

Also, there should be no pull-up resistor on ETH_MDC! Only ETH_MDIO.

Skärmbild 2024-05-11 135008.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @DMårt 

Agree there is a typo in the signal naming inside the schematics. Should be read as ETH_TX_CTL as we are using RGMII.

Regarding the pull-up on MDC, it is just a good HW designer habit to avoid potential unwanted input toggling as signal is left floating until IO is initialized by the SW .

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @DMårt 

Agree there is a typo in the signal naming inside the schematics. Should be read as ETH_TX_CTL as we are using RGMII.

Regarding the pull-up on MDC, it is just a good HW designer habit to avoid potential unwanted input toggling as signal is left floating until IO is initialized by the SW .

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.