cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TTCAN TUR division: rounding or truncating?

tarmasr
Associate III

This is a request for clarification of the TUR (Time Unit Ratio) calculation in the TTCAN implementation of the FD-CAN peripheral that is part of STM32MP1xxx systems.

Specifically: the TUR is composed of a numerator and a denominator, designated FDCAN_TURNA.NAV and FDCAN_TURCF.DC, respectively, in the documentation.

For example, see RM0436 pages 2994-2995.

The calculation of the NTU (Network Time Unit) is NTU = clock_period * (TUR.numerator / TUR.denominator)

My question: is the division a rounding division or a truncating division? The documentation does not specify this.

As a concrete example, I am analyzing a TTCAN system using the STM32MP157 FD-CAN1 peripheral with:

- numerator = 0x1ffff (= 131071, the maximum allowed)

- denominator = 8192

With rounding division, TUR = 16, with truncating division, TUR = 15.

Truncating divisions are more common in hardware, so what is the FD-CAN1 peripheral using for its TUR calculation?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @tarmasr 

Not FDCAN expert, but if I look to examples provided on RM0436 Table 452,

PatrickF_0-1707725174509.png

the resulting value for your settings (0x1FFFF and 0x2000) will be 15.99987793

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi @PatrickF ,

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer my query.

Yes, I agree with the theoretical value (15.999...) and I did see the examples, but I was wondering if any form of rounding or truncation takes place, particularly since this combination of values (0x1FFFF and 0x2000) is so close to a whole number (16) and was probably intended to give exactly that number.

The query came about because it seems unlikely that the TUR uses floating point arithmetic internally -- it's probably all integer arithmetic.

However, based on your answer and the examples, some of which also result in fractional values, I will assume then that little or no rounding or truncation at all takes place and that internally the TUR is used as-is.

My suspicion still is that it operates more like muldiv(period, numerator, denominator) which is approximately:

floor(((period * numerator) + denominator/2) / denominator)

But that we will probably never know, unless one of the designers of the TTCAN portion of FD-CAN1 weighs in.

Best wishes,

David.