cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I use length matching on all differential pairs?

DMårt
Senior II

Even if I route the differential pairs, one pair will always be longer than the other.

Should I route an extra path, like a sawtooth or tromebone on the shortest pair to make booth differential pair equal in length?

I see that the STM32MP1 dev-kit does not use this, either on DDR or Gigabit Ethernet, but I have heard that it's recommended to make sure that all differential pairs have the same length.

HDMI:

HDMIHDMI

Gigabit Ethernet:

Gigabit EthernetGigabit Ethernet

USB OTG: 

USB OTG 1USB OTG 1

USB OTG:

USB OTG 2USB OTG 2

DQS1:

DQS1DQS1

DQS0:

DQS0DQS0

DDR CLK:

DDR_CLKDDR_CLK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi, it is vice versa, the USB_DM should be longer than USB_DM by 507um.

The AN lists the package inner length differences (i.e. negative value mean DM is shorter than DP by 507um inside the package)

Sound logical to have a value around 500um if you look at ball locations Vs the package edge where you are going to escape the tracks).

PatrickF_1-1717481736916.png

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @DMårt 

for DDR, the lenghts requirements are provided in AN5122 and could be checked with associated excel sheets.

Usually, seems experts give slightly higher priority to good differential routing rather than strict length matching.

e.g. for DSI in STM32MP15, we provided in AN5031 this guidelines as rule of thumb. +/-5mils is somewhat hard to achieve (note that we already have partial compensation for length difference between two balls when they are diagonal or stacked).

PatrickF_0-1717402165031.png

For other interfaces (Ethernet, USB, HDMI, etc...), you have to refer to the related standard requirements or associated components routing guidelines.

Regards

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi @PatrickF 

The difference between the CLK_P and CLK_N was about 1 mm.

Yes. I found that the pad for the USB has a pitch of 507 um. That means I should make the N-track 507 um shorter than P-track due to internal length of N-track?

Hi, it is vice versa, the USB_DM should be longer than USB_DM by 507um.

The AN lists the package inner length differences (i.e. negative value mean DM is shorter than DP by 507um inside the package)

Sound logical to have a value around 500um if you look at ball locations Vs the package edge where you are going to escape the tracks).

PatrickF_1-1717481736916.png

Regards.

@PatrickF 

Ah!

I understand! The difference between DM - DP is -0.507mm.

So in that case, I have the DM length to 47.327mm and the DP length to 46.827mm. Then 46.827 + 0.500 is equal to 47.327mm.

In this case it's about AC16 and AB16.

And for AC17 (DP) = 32.434mm and AB17 (DM) = 32.941mm

32.941 - (32.434 + 0.507) = 0mm