cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the benefits of using OpenStLinux on STM32MP15 and how does it differ from other operating systems?

RHook.1
Associate

What are the benefits of using OpenStLinux on STM32MP15 and how does it differ from other operating systems?

Thank you in advance for your response 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Erwan SZYMANSKI
ST Employee

Hello @RHook.1​ ,

Your question is large so I will try to answer it in 2 steps:

• First, why using Linux on our MPU ? Mainly because the embedded Linux is asked by the community and our customers as it is more and more used in a lot of different applications today. It fits with a lot of use cases. At the same time, you benefits all the work from the Linux community, on which we also upstream things to always go forward on the different features / drivers / IPs.
  • Now, why specifically OpenSTLinux ? Because to fit with our specific SoCs. Moreover, we also need ST specific drivers, and more generally our specific BSP that we deliver in our OSTL releases. As this distribution is based on mainline kernel, we keep and bring the work from both ST and the community directly in our delivery. ST is also providing support for its own release, to help and follow our customers in their development process.

I hope that this message answers your question.

Kind regards,

Erwan.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Erwan SZYMANSKI
ST Employee

Hello @RHook.1​ ,

Your question is large so I will try to answer it in 2 steps:

• First, why using Linux on our MPU ? Mainly because the embedded Linux is asked by the community and our customers as it is more and more used in a lot of different applications today. It fits with a lot of use cases. At the same time, you benefits all the work from the Linux community, on which we also upstream things to always go forward on the different features / drivers / IPs.
  • Now, why specifically OpenSTLinux ? Because to fit with our specific SoCs. Moreover, we also need ST specific drivers, and more generally our specific BSP that we deliver in our OSTL releases. As this distribution is based on mainline kernel, we keep and bring the work from both ST and the community directly in our delivery. ST is also providing support for its own release, to help and follow our customers in their development process.

I hope that this message answers your question.

Kind regards,

Erwan.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.