cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with the STM32CubeWL Dual Core example projects

Stephen.Miles
Associate

I've just gotten a Nucleo-WL55JC1 and am having a bit of trouble getting the dual core example applications working out of the box. The single core AT_Slave and End_Node examples do however compile, program and run on the M4 core with no issue. We are able to set up the node and get it joined to our lrwan network.

I am using the CubeIDE toolchain. This is my first go at working with a dual core STM32 so it's quite possible I'm just missing something fundamental.

The first issue seems to be in the program size for the M0+. With the default project configuration, the binary for this core ends up taking overflowing its 128k allocated ROM by 7360bytes. I am able to correct for this by either turning on any degree of compiler optimization, or by adjusting the ROM regions defined in the linker script for the M4 and M0+ cores to give the M0+ more space.

After implementing either of the above changes to allow the build to complete, I set up a debug configuration flash both images and attach the debugger in the M4's context.

The binaries both seem to download successfully, however running the program returns the following error over the device's UART:

WARNING: There is a difference between the MAPPING_TABLE placement in memory: 0x20008000

and the address calculated according to the IPCCDBA option byte: 0x2003FFF0

The execution enters now in a while(1){}

please check the CM4\MbMux\mbmuxif_sys.c or update the scatter file

Going through UM2643 and AN5406 I haven't come across anything obvious I might have missed - any suggestions or insights would be welcome.

Thanks!

23 REPLIES 23
mromani2
Associate II

Hi,

I still have the same problem in End_Node_Dual_Core example after replacing attached files.

region `ROM' overflowed by 8296 bytes	LoRaWAN_End_Node_DualCore_CM0PLUS

Miguel

Hi,

you are probably trying to compile with GCC in optimization for size O0.

In this case, the resulting binary size is to big to fit in the allocated M0+ memory.

In debug build, we advise to use at least optimization -Og.

please let us know,

Best regards

mromani2
Associate II

You are wright, I increased ROM size in M0+ and M4 liker files and now can download both firmware's. I still get a warning about the MAPPING_TABLE placement

WARNING: There is a difference between the MAPPING_TABLE placement in memory: 0x20008000

I have read in the documentation that I can bypass the while{1} loop and the MCU will reset with the correct values but I wan't to understand the other solution. Is the scatter file the same as the linker option file (STM32WL55JCIX_FLASH.ld)?

Anyway I will try first changing the optimisation option.

Thanks for your answer.

mromani2
Associate II

I have been able to make it work replacing files and changing optimisation flags.

I still have problems debugging but I will open another issue if necessary.

Thanks for your help.

Miguel

OSTEP.1
Associate

Hi,

I have the same issue :

I tried Aurelian's solution "by going into sys_conf.h on both M0+ and M4 projects and changing LOW_POWER_DISABLE to 1" but it didn't fix it.

@YBOUV.1​  Do you have any idea how to solve this issue ?

YBOUV.1
Senior

Hello,

For your info, this issue was resolve in https://community.st.com/s/question/0D73W000000W0iv/detail?s1oid=00Db0000000YtG6&s1nid=0DB0X000000DYbd&emkind=chatterCommentNotification&emvtk=WQSlx9RbS.WX4amZMSYIWDVX6a1d0Pou.2dkRalTl4s%3D&s1uid=0053W000001iIzj&emtm=1611692464197&fromEmail=1&s1ext=0

The option byte IPCCDBA probably does not match MAPPING_TABLE address in the linker file at STM32CubeIDE\CM4\STM32WL55JCIX_FLASH.ld.

• MAPPING_TABLE is mapped at RAM_SHARED (@0x20008000). Mapping table is used to exchange data between the cores.
  • To see IPCCDBA, connect with cube programmer, open tab 'OB', section 'User Configuration', scrolling down to bottom you will find it.

following rule shall apply IPCCDBA = (MAPPING_TABLE>>4)

please try to program manually option byte IPCCDBA to 0x800. The board will restart to reload the new OB value.

This will be automatically done by the FW in next release,

OSTEP.1
Associate

Even after modifying manually the IPCCDBA in stm32cubeprogrammer, I have the same issue in cubeide.

0693W000008weWAQAY.png0693W000008weUxQAI.png

Hello,

There is a different error on my side.

I'm working on LoRaWAN_End_Node_DualCore project.

I was getting this error before apply your patch named "WL-M0PLUS-StartUpFiles"

/Applications/STM32CubeIDE.app/Contents/Eclipse/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.gnu-tools-for-stm32.9-2020-q2-update.macos64_1.5.0.202011040924/tools/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/9.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: LoRaWAN_End_Node_DualCore_CM0PLUS.elf section `.text' will not fit in region `ROM'
/Applications/STM32CubeIDE.app/Contents/Eclipse/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.gnu-tools-for-stm32.9-2020-q2-update.macos64_1.5.0.202011040924/tools/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/9.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: region `ROM' overflowed by 7240 bytes

After applied your patch. Im getting smilar error.

/Applications/STM32CubeIDE.app/Contents/Eclipse/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.gnu-tools-for-stm32.9-2020-q2-update.macos64_1.5.0.202011040924/tools/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/9.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: LoRaWAN_End_Node_DualCore_CM0PLUS.elf section `.text' will not fit in region `ROM'
/Applications/STM32CubeIDE.app/Contents/Eclipse/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.gnu-tools-for-stm32.9-2020-q2-update.macos64_1.5.0.202011040924/tools/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/9.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: region `ROM' overflowed by 8176 bytes

this patch didn't fix my problem.

What's wrong ?

Have try to build "Relase" build configuration ... if no overflow move back to "Debug" one and fine tune compiler optimization ...

Thank you.

It worked when I changed to build configuration > set active > release.

As far as I know, it is not possible to debug the application because it is compiled with release.

Actually, I want to debug both core to understand runtime and implement my changes.

What about If I want to debug ?