cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32WLE5c general setup.

Dodo
Associate II

Hello and good day to you all.

I just realised that there were not many articles about the STM32WLE5J in the past and now some topis are added - luckily.

And I´m a total beginner to the stm32 enviroment and I really miss a tutorial on how to setup the STM32WLE5J right from the beginning.

I can make it to appear in the STM cube MX, but after initializing it via the chip number (it´s a Seed wio e5 mini) the trouble starts. Because there is no board config available and I have to configure everything by myself and thats quite frustrating.

Unfortunately most of the tutorials deal with the nucleo board where you get a pre-configured layout out of the box.

So maybe someone can make a short video of how to setup a STM32WLE5J all components to start programming? Ideally a Seeed wio e5 mini 🙂

Any tutoria or link will help of course, this would be really great 🙂

Regards Dom

3 REPLIES 3
Strooom
Associate III

There is an STM32 CubeIDE project available from Seeed, which has the Board Support Package set for the Lora-E5. (check their Wiki for the link to github)

I managed to setup projects in STM32Cube IDE for all my experiments, so if you have a particular question, I can maybe help.

However, I assume now you want to do LoRaWAN, and then the next learning curve is the LoRaWAN stack.. I think you will find out it's not very user-friendly, not easy to re-use etc..

But as said, you're not alone using the Lora-E5 / STM32WLE5 and I am willing to share my experience.

Dodo
Associate II

Hi Stroom,

I found the examples provided by Seeed, and I managed to use the LoRa example. However I found the code broken under the new stm IDE version and found an good alternative (https://github.com/danak6jq/Seeed-LoRa-E5) just in case you are interested.

The actual task is very simple I guess, but there is no example from the other stm boards working on the e5. And I have to confess that I don´t really know the hardware assignment for RTC, Interrupt etc.

The Goal is to use the LoRa code in two situations

a) go to deep sleep and wake up after two week to send a live signal

b) wake up on external interrupt and send an alram signal.

I think with an esp32 this is an easy 5 min job, I already did before, but the esp32 uses too much power during deepsleep. So my idea was to use a stm32 e5 instead.

Regards Dom

Strooom
Associate III

With RTC wakeup, I don’t think it’s possible to sleep for 2 weeks, but you can sleep for eg. 30 seconds, increment a counter and go back to sleep. Count to 40320 and you have 2 weeks.