cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to establish a communication between two nucleo-WL55JC1 cards ?

JulesG
Associate

Hello ST community,

I am leading a project at university and I would like to make a communication between two STM32WL55JC1 cards using the LoRa protocol without a gateway. I'm not very familiar with STM32CubeIDE and any help would be much appreciated.

The aim is to recover data from an accelerometer that will be transmitted by a serial communication to the first STM32 card and then make a wireless communication to recover the data on the other card.

First of all, I would like to know if I can make a communication between two LoRa device without using a gateway.

Thanks for your answers.

Jules.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

P2P LoRa (Point-to-Point)

You should be able to use the PingPong example as a starting point, perhaps creating a Sender and a Listener version

STM32Cube_FW_WL_V1.1.0\Projects\NUCLEO-WL55JC\Applications\SubGHz_Phy\SubGHz_Phy_PingPong\readme.txt

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

P2P LoRa (Point-to-Point)

You should be able to use the PingPong example as a starting point, perhaps creating a Sender and a Listener version

STM32Cube_FW_WL_V1.1.0\Projects\NUCLEO-WL55JC\Applications\SubGHz_Phy\SubGHz_Phy_PingPong\readme.txt

JulesG
Associate

Thank you for your answer ! I tried the PingPong example and it's working well, I understand the code. Is there a way to display the different messages that the two cards are exchanging ?

The LRWAN code typically provided a PRINTF() function which outputs to a console or debug channel.

My approach is to add as much instrumentation and telemetry as possible so I can observe and understand what's happening in the system real-time, and from both ends. You'll likely want to add some basic packet dumping functionality, and/or structure what's sent to be printable, or with sequence numbers, etc, so you can see it working, or if there is data loss, etc.

If you plan on pushing some known format data across the data-link, you could perhaps decode or track that, reporting on message numbers, integrity checking, etc.

As the Ping-Pong can be some what erratic or meta-stable, I would tend to fork that into receiver and transmitter modes, for range testing perhaps a periodic position report from a GPS/GNSS receiver, logging that, and mapping as one node is moved around.

hi ,may i know how u did comunication establishment betweenn 2 nuclueo -wl55jc2   boards and transmited recived between them??? iwant detailed information can we use cube ide for this or cube mx only we need ?? 

IngSerio
Associate III

Hello,
I was able to establish communication between two wl55 easily starting from the ping pong examples. It would be interesting if one of them could also become end-node and communicate with the gateway. Were you able to do such a thing?

@IngSerio wrote:

I was able to establish communication between two wl55 easily starting from the ping pong examples. It would be interesting if one of them could also become end-node and communicate with the gateway. ?

The Ping-Pong example is simply using LoRa modulation.

To become an End-Node to a Gateway would require implementing the LoRaWAN protocol.

https://www.korewireless.com/news/lora-vs-lorawan-what-is-the-difference#:~:text=To%20put%20it%20simply%2C%20LoRa,is%20communicated%20across%20the%20network

ST do also provide LoRaWAN End-Node examples alongside the Ping-Pong example ...

@Andrew Neil wrote:

@IngSerio wrote:

I was able to establish communication between two wl55 easily starting from the ping pong examples. It would be interesting if one of them could also become end-node and communicate with the gateway. ?

The Ping-Pong example is simply using LoRa modulation.

To become an End-Node to a Gateway would require implementing the LoRaWAN protocol.

https://www.korewireless.com/news/lora-vs-lorawan-what-is-the-difference#:~:text=To%20put%20it%20simply%2C%20LoRa,is%20communicated%20across%20the%20network

ST do also provide LoRaWAN End-Node examples alongside the Ping-Pong example ...

Good morning,
yes of course, I know there is an EndNode example and I was able to use it, I would like to understand how to integrate both an EndNode and LoRa modulation in the same microcontroller, if there is an example for that.

No, there's no example for that - it's a pretty unusual use-case.

You would have to devise your own mechanism for sharing the radio ...

Note that there is now a LoRaWAN defined Relay feature:

https://blog.semtech.com/the-new-lorawan-relay-feature