cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I recently purchased a STM32WL55JC17 and I could not get it to connect to the STM32CubeIDE. I thought I would try to update the ST-LINK and that started to work but failed near the end. I fear I may have corrupted it. Help!

Mdede.1
Associate II

14 REPLIES 14
Mdede.1
Associate II

I am using a very short USB cable plugged directly into the front of my machine and I have tested with another STM32 Discovery Board and everything works with STM32CubeIDE and STM32CubeProgrammer.

Using this cable I can connect to a serial connection with TeraTerm to the STM32WL55 LoRa MCU. I can enter AT commands and it does respond so I know some of this is working. The problem comes when I try to connect with the STM32CubeProgrammer or try and set the board into DFU mode for upgrading the firmware. I am not sure what the process is but it looks like it resets something and tries to read the firmware on the device, possibly from the Detail.txt file on the board??, and then discovers the level is not valid and kills the connection.

Thanks for the link to the other question but so far there is no resolution on that question.

LaurentL
ST Employee

Hello, you can try STM32CubeIde 1.10.0.

In Help menu, you have the "ST-Link Upgrade" menu entry.

You can then open the STlink in update mode.

Mdede.1
Associate II

Unfortunately the new IDE version also fails. I see the ST-LINK update facility within this new version of the IDE has also been updated but I get the same error with it nor recognizing the current firmware on the board.

Michael

Adi1
Associate II

I am having similar issues with STM32WL55 with boot pin pulled up to 3.3V, it was initially working but suddenly stopped responding. I have tried connecting via a STLink using CubeProgrammer c2.12.0 and STLink Utility v4.6.0.0. Additionally, I have also tried connecting to Jlink as well but STM32 failed to connect.

12:54:42 : Error: No STM32 target found!

12:54:50 : ST-LINK SN : 53FF6D065056705449132081

12:54:50 : ST-LINK FW : V2J40S7

12:54:50 : Board    : --

12:54:50 : Voltage   : 3.16V

I have assumed that somehow I killed the STM32 because I can connect to another board (same hardware) with the same setup ( both Jlink and STLink v2 connects). Did anyone (@Mdede.1) manage to find the root cause of the issue ?

-- Adi

No. Unfortunately anything that was suggested did not help. My view was the update to the onboard STI Link got corrupted by the update STI provided and they refused to replace it. I can use the STI-Link from another board to program the microprocessor but the onboard one is dead. I was forced to buy a new one and will not update the onboard STI-Link again.