cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TouchGFX 4.21.3 crashes with ERROR TouchGFXDesigner.App: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

MCerv.2
Associate II

Hi, hoping someone can help with the following issue I'm experiencing. I understand that my setup might fall outside of the supported enviroment but I thought about posting the question anyway.

I'm running TouchGFX 4.21.3 on a VM with Windows 11 ARM in a Macbook Pro M1 Max. TouchGFX access the project files through a map network drive.

Everything works except every time I save the project or compile I get a message saying that the project files was externally modified which isn't the case it's the app itself who is modifying it. Normally pressing Yes keeps things working

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bhtciQAA.pngWhen modifying anything on the Texts Tab I also get the same error but indicating that the text.xml file was modified here pressing Yes or No will cause the app to crash with the following message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bhtdCQAQ.pngI've attached the logs from the application in case they provide more details, is there any way to increase the logs verbosity?

What options can I try? Do you think having the source files in a mapped drive could be causing the issue?

5 REPLIES 5
Osman SOYKURT
ST Employee

Hello MCerv.2,

Hard to say... that's for sure an uncommon setup. We'll need more time to investigate this issue. I can't promise any fast resolution for it.

/Osman

Osman SOYKURT
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX

I understand that, but unfortunately that is the only way I can run TouchGFX Designer right now. Most other ST tool have cross platform support except GFX so it's quite unfortunate. is there any way to increase the logging verbosity so I can try to troubleshoot the issue?

It also happens to me an a plain Windows11. I have noticed that this happens when there are changes on the project, in my case because of repository changes, while Designer is open. I can not tell exactly what order of operations produce this error.

Thanks for your input, mine project is also inside a git repository but i haven't seen it fail because of the repository changes but rather when the app itself is making changes to the files which doesn't make sense

helioz
Associate II

I suspect this issue could be related to the "file already exists" error when a project is created on a network drive:

https://community.st.com/t5/touchgfx-and-gui-mcu/create-new-project-quot-file-already-exists-quot-it-doesn-t/td-p/187364